CHICAGO, February 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
As pub foodservice expands, pub chains look to new growth opportunities with an extended mix of food and drink for their customers. Consumers cite higher-quality food as the number one reason for visiting pubs more often, indicating that high-quality ingredients and premium positioning can drive traffic and sales. Thirty-nine percent of consumers say they are visiting pubs less often than they did a year ago in the midst of a sluggish economy. However, changes in the evolving pub sector are attracting a broader base of consumers and attracting more young consumers, 52 percent of which say they are visiting pubs more often compared to a year ago.
"Consumers expect pubs to offer high-quality foods, despite the established perception of traditional pub fare," says Technomic Managing Director Darren Tristano. "Pubs aren't just a place to grab a pint anymore. By broadening their menu items and adjusting their concept positioning, new dayparts such as breakfast, can attract couples and families choosing pubs as a viable dining option."
To help operators and others aligned with the foodservice industry more effectively identify opportunities for growth and competitive advantage, Technomic has developed the U.K. Pub Consumer Trend Report
Interesting findings include:
- Pubs accounted for 23 percent of the U.K.'s overall foodservice industry sales in 2010 and made up 16 percent of all units.
- Although many consumers seek contemporary, sophisticated dishes, nearly two-thirds (64 percent) prefer pub menus to feature a mix of traditional dishes along with contemporary options.
- Opportunities exist for operators to offer longer service hours and create a new revenue channel through takeaway programmes. 29 percent of consumers report that late-night food menus are an appealing service pubs could offer.
- 42 percent of consumers place high importance on new or unique menu items or flavours offered at pubs and 29 percent feel an extensive draught beer list is of high importance.
- Consumers are nearly three times as likely to prefer food-led pubs over wet-led pubs, a shift in consumer perceptions of pubs.
Technomic's U.K. Pub Consumer Trend Report assists foodservice executives in better understanding consumer behaviour, preferences and attitudes regarding pubs. The menu insights section utilises Technomic's exclusive online trend-tracking resource, MenuMonitor, to provide an in-depth look at pub menus at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Consumer Insights section examines pub customer demographics, purchasing behaviour, attitudes and preference of more than 1,000 consumers.
To purchase or learn more about this report please visit Technomic.com or contact one of the individuals listed below.
Technomic provides comprehensive global information, analysis and insights to food industry executives, through high quality fact-based consulting, market research, online databases, tracking services and industry events. Our programs and services are designed to target the specific needs of leadership, sales, management, marketing and product development professionals. At Technomic, we're always innovating to keep pace with emerging global markets and trends. For over 45 years we've been supporting clients' strategic decisions. Our breadth of research enables us to keep a pulse on food industry, by providing insights into local markets with a global scope.