- Roku and Google take second and third spots with Apple now ranked fourth.
BOSTON, June 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Despite only launching its Fire TV streaming box and stick in 2013, Amazon has quickly established itself at the top of the rankings in the US Digital Media Streamer market taking a 30% share of shipments in Q1 2015. According to Strategy Analytics' Connected Home Devices (CHD) report "USA Connected TV Device Vendor Share: Q1 2015", the top four brands account for over 90% of the standalone digital media streamer market.
Click here for the report: USA Connected TV Device Vendor Share: Q1 2015 (https://www.strategyanalytics.com/access-services/devices/connected-home/consumer-electronics/market-data/report-detail/usa-connected-tv-device-tracker-q1-2015#.VXBI5tKqqko)
Other key findings from the report include:
- At 3.5 million units, more Digital Media Streamers were shipped in the USA in Q1 2015 than Smart TVs, IP connectable Games Consoles or Smart Blu-ray Players.
- A total of 35.7 million Digital Media Streamers are now installed in US homes while approximately 32% of US broadband homes own at least one such device.
- Since its launch in 2007, Apple has shipped in excess of 15 million Apple TV units followed by Roku at nearly 13.5 million. Over 8.5 million Chromecast streaming dongles have shipped and close to 4.5 million Amazon Fire TVs.
- Apple TV, Roku streaming boxes, Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV now account for 18% of all Connected TV streaming devices installed in US homes up from 14% in Q1 2014.
David Watkins, Service Director, Connected Home Devices, said, "Low-cost standalone digital media streamers are proving hugely popular with consumers who want a quick and easy way of accessing their favorite online streaming services on the living room TV and the entry of instantly recognisable brands such as Google and Amazon is helping maintain growth in the sector" He added, "Amazon has rapidly established itself as a force to be reckoned with in the living room as it embarks on its mission of bringing its content and retail services to all screens including mobile, PC and TV. Meanwhile, Apple has slipped behind its rivals having not made a substantial update to its Apple TV hardware for the better part of 3 years and we suspect that the short-term exclusive deal to include HBO Now and reduced price of the box will not be enough to pull it back up the rankings in the immediate future".
About Strategy Analytics
Strategy Analytics, Inc. provides the competitive edge with advisory services, consulting and actionable market intelligence for emerging technology, mobile and wireless, digital consumer and automotive electronics companies. With offices in North America, Europe and Asia, Strategy Analytics delivers insights for enterprise success. www.StrategyAnalytics.com
European Contact: David Watkins, +33 153 409 952, email@example.com
US Contact: Prayerna Raina, +1 617 614 0712, firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Strategy Analytics