LONDON, June 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
New CILT President Jim Steer FCILT has announced that decongesting city centres is key to economic growth and that the sector must collaborate more and look into new techniques in order to reduce traffic numbers.
The Director and Founder of Steer Davies Gleave was speaking to ITN Productions' Transport News Channel ahead of the CILT Annual Conference and Dinner, where the logistics revolution is high on the agenda.
"Congestion is the enemy of us all," he said, "we need to work together as transport professionals to show what transport as a whole can do." Mr. Steer believes that reducing congestion will not just make city centres a more pleasant place to be, but also has the potential to drive "economic and social prosperity."
Graham Inglis FCILT, Chief Executive of DHL Supply Chain Europe was part of the same discussion agreeing that "The current environment requires much more collaboration and innovation. At DHL we already use our network on a shared basis for the good of customers, but clearly we can do more. And whether it's night-time deliveries or consolidation centres, utilising new techniques to decongest our city centres is very important."
The CILT Annual Conference and Dinner 2013 took place on Thursday 13th June at the Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, set in the heart of the Midlands amongst the rural Warwickshire countryside, where thought leaders from across the transport and logistics sector came together to discuss the future, latest innovations and to debate the latest issues.
To see the full panel discussion interview with Graham Inglis, Jim Steer and First Group CEO Giles Fearnley and more exclusive content from industry professionals and experts in transport and logistics, please go to: http://www.transportnews.itn.co.uk/
Transport news from ITN Productions, presented by Natasha Kaplinsky, includes reports about:
- AvantiGas showcasing Liquefied Petroleum Gas as a fuel solution of the future
- Cast UK stands out by recruiting consultants that have previously worked in supply chain logistics.
- Five regional hauliers in one: Harlequin Logistics offers cost-effective transport solutions.
- Felixstowe Port, operated by Hutchison Ports, is the hub that connects us to the rest of the world.
- Low Carbon Freight Dividend is offering small businesses a chance to get containers off the roads.
- Maritime Transport is expanding its operation to meet the needs of customers.
- Consultants Oliver Wight help companies to turn their fortunes around by optimising supply chains.
- Palletforce employ an innovative way of working to make sure their trucks are never empty.
- Rotterdam based Samskip offers cost-efficient, environmentally friendly transportation.
- Toolsgroup shows how utilising the latest technology can result in growth for companies.
- A panel of the industry's most influential players discuss the current state of the market.
- CILT President Steve Agg explains the motivation behind CILT's partnership with ITN.
- Natasha Kaplinsky talks to two rising stars of the transport industry.
- Collect+ CEO Neil Ashworth discusses the future of retail.
- The biggest highlights from CILT Annual Conference 2013
- Delegates views on what's coming up for the industry as they look to the future.
- An interview with London Ambulance Chairman Richard Hunt
Transport News is the latest industry channel from ITN Productions' corporate production team, which works with trade bodies and associations to deliver high-quality news programming for individual vertical business sectors, producing videos about key industry topics, sharing best practice and updating on industry developments.
About ITN Productions: ITN Productions is ITN's central creative hub producing content for major global brands in the broadcast, online, mobile and corporate sectors.
About the CILT Conference: The Annual Logistics Conference & Dinner 2013 takes place on June 13th 2013 at the Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club.
Transport News enquiries: Derek Dyson, Executive Producer, or Elizabeth Fisher-Robins, Programme Producer, ITN Productions
For all enquiries about the CILT please contact Daryl Chesney: Daryl.Chesney@ciltuk.org.uk
SOURCE ITN Production and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport