DUBLIN, July 04, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "The Global Pain Therapeutics Market, 5th Edition: Market Trends & R&D Insights" report to their offering.
This in-depth report delivers:
- Analysis of seven major painful conditions examining epidemiology in the seven major markets, therapeutic management overview, unmet needs and clinical/commercial pipeline analysis of each condition to maximize your product's commercial success
- Identification of the major challenges within pain R&D including unmet needs, clinical trial design, alternative R&D approaches, potential pain biomarkers, animal pain models, functional imaging techniques and regulatory hurdles
- An assessment of the financial pain market with forecasts to 2020 for over 70 leading branded analgesic products and key pipeline candidates
Pain continues to represent major clinical, social and economic challenges. Globally, 1.5 billion people suffer from moderate to severe chronic pain. Pain is the leading cause of disability in the US, affecting 116 million adults, more than heart disease, cancer and diabetes combined. The US annual cost of chronic pain ranges from a colossal $560 to $635 billion.
Despite two decades of intensive R&D effort, commercialization of new products has been limited. Current analgesics only provide modest pain relief, frequently carry black box safety warnings and are susceptible to abuse. Indeed, in the US, opioid abuse is described as a deadly epidemic.
In recent years, key blockbuster products OxyContin, Cymbalta, Celebrex and Lidoderm have faced patent loss. With Pfizer's Lyrica patent expiry looming in 2018, the pain market will suffer further generic threat. Nevertheless, the hotly anticipated arrival of novel abuse-deterrent opioids and monoclonal antibodies such as NGF, CGRP and IL-6 inhibitors will drive future market growth.
The pain therapeutics market is crowded and heavily genericized. In 2015, the leading branded pain therapeutics market was worth $11.3 billion, down 13.5% from 2014 total revenues of $13.1 billion.
Opioids form the backbone of pain management. This trend is set to continue over the coming years thanks to their continued superior analgesic activity. Physicians should become increasingly more confident in prescribing opioids due the arrival of abuse-deterrent formulations. By 2020, the leading branded opioids will generate over $6.6 billion in worldwide revenues.
Pain R&D is challenging, expensive and reliant on subjective outcome measures. Therefore, industry must revise their R&D strategies to gain success in this market. The FDA's 2014 Draft Guidance for Industry Analgesic Indications: Developing Drug and Biological Products should provide some clarity for pain developers, as this was indeed the first guidance update in over 20 years.
Key Topics Covered:
1 Executive Summary
2 Pain: Disease Background
3 Managing Pain: Who's Pain Therapeutics Classes And Treatment Guidelines
4 The Postoperative Pain Market
5 The Neuropathic Pain Market
6 The Fibromyalgia Market
7 The Arthritic Pain Market
8 The Migraine Market
9 The Cancer Pain Market
10 The Back Pain Market
11 Pain Therapeutics Research And Development Trends
12 Unmet Needs In The Pain Therapeutics Market
13 Pain Therapeutics Pipeline Watch
14 Analysis Of The Pain Therapeutic Market
15 Company Briefs
- Abbvie Inc.
- Acelrx Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Acorda Therapeutics Inc.
- Amgen Inc.
- Astellas Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- COLLEGIUM Pharmaceutical Inc.
- Colucid Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Daiichi Sankyo Company Ltd.
- Depomed Inc.
- Durect Corporation
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Hospira Inc.
- Incyte Corporation
- Immune Pharmaceuticals
- Impax Laboratories
- Insys Therapeutics Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson
- Meda AB
- Mesoblast Ltd.
- Novartis International AG
- Pfizer Inc.
- Proove Biosciences Inc.
- Pozen Inc.
- Prostrakan Group
- Purdue Pharmaceuticals LP
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Spinifex Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd.
- Trevena Inc.
- Trigemina Inc.
- WEX Pharmaceuticals
- Yichang Humanwell Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd.
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/fzz9x6/the_global_pain
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call +1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
SOURCE Research and Markets