DUBLIN, May 31, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Global and China Cobalt Industry Report, 2016-2020" report to their offering.
China is the world's largest cobalt consumer as well. Its consumption grew 14.9% year on year to 43,500 tons in 2015, mainly thanks to the growth in the battery material consumption. By contrast, the demand for hard alloy, superalloy and magnetic materials remained relatively stable. In 2015, China consumed 33,500 tons of battery-use cobalt, accounting for 77.0% of the total cobalt consumption, far more than other industries. Conservatively, the proportion of Chinese battery-use cobalt is expected to reach 79% with 56,900 tons by 2020.
Chinese cobalt producers focus on cobalt smelting, represented by Huayou Cobalt, Jinchuan Group, Green Eco-manufacture Hi-tech, Jinling Mining, Huaze Nickel & Cobalt Metal and so on. In recent years, despite the low cobalt price and mining resource restrictions, the market of ternary materials and other new energy vehicle-use battery materials continues to heat up. In view of this, major manufacturers further expand the industrial chain and accelerate layout of downstream ternary materials and other emerging industries to enhance market competitiveness.
In 2015, the global refined cobalt output was 98,000 tons, up 6.9% year on year; meanwhile, the demand jumped 9.9% year on year to 89,000 tons. The oversupply existed.
In future, the global cobalt demand growth will be much faster than the supply growth with the expected gap of around 1,000 tons in 2020, as the demand for new energy vehicle-use batteries escalates, Congo and other cobalt giants change policies as well as copper-nickel mines are shut down due to price pressures.
China is the world's largest producer of refined cobalt, and contributed 49.7% to the global output in 2015. But, China's cobalt mineral resources account for only 1% of the world and it depends on the import of cobalt concentrate. In 2015, China's import volume of cobalt concentrate rose 18.4%year on year to 227,700 tons.
The report highlights the followings:
- Supply and demand, regional distribution, prices, competition patterns and development trends of global cobalt ore resources, cobalt concentrate and refined cobalt;
- Supply and demand, prices, competition patterns and development trends of Chinese cobalt ore resources and cobalt;
Import and export of cobalt concentrate, tricobalttetraoxide, cobalt carbonate, cobalt nitrate and other major cobalt products;
- Development of battery materials, superalloy, hard alloy, magnetic materials and other major cobalt downstream industries as well as their demand for cobalt;
- Operation and development in China of 4 global cobalt companies;
- Operation and development strategies of 10 key Chinese cobalt companies.
- Beijing Easpring Material Technology
- Chengdu HuazeCobalt&nickel Material Co., Ltd
- Glencore Xstrata
- Huayou Cobalt
- Jiangxi Jiangwu Cobalt Co., Ltd.
- Jiangxi Jiangwu International Nickel and Cobalt New Materials Co., Ltd.
- Jiangxi Jiangwu Nickel and Cobalt New Materials Co., Ltd.
- Jiangxi Rare Earth and Rare Metals Tungsten Group Corporation
- Jinchuan Group Co., Ltd.
- Nantong Xinwei Nickel & Cobalt Hightech Development Co., Ltd.
- Ramu Nico Management (Mcc) Limited
- Shandong Jinling Mining
- Shenzhen Green Eco-manufacture Hi-tech (002340)
- Zhejiang Galico Cobalt & Nickel Material Co., Ltd.
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/q9whqs/global_and_china
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call +1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
SOURCE Research and Markets