HAMBURG, Germany, March 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Around 5-10% of adults in Central and Western Europe suffer from kidney and ureteral stone disease. These solid formations occur when substances that normally dissolve in the urine are separated out and deposited as fine crystals in those organs. Such stones can be found in the renal calyces, renal pelvis and lower urinary tract (ureter, bladder, urethra).
About 80% of all kidney stones pass out of the body with the urine. In the remaining 20%, medical assistance is required for removal. Men are affected twice often as women.
Formerly, the treatment of kidney and ureteral stones was performed mostly by ESWL in the last 15 years.
Due to immense improvements of the equipment for and training in ureteroscopy this is currently the therapeutic procedure carried out more and more often. Ureteroscopy is a minimal invasive intervention by which a flexible endoscope is passed through the urethra into the ureter to capture stones and/or stone fragments.
With its complete portfolio and its innovative Sur-Catch NT retrieval basket, Olympus provides a specially developed, gentle and fast treatment for kidney and ureteral stone removal.
Thanks to its tipless design with rounded wires, the basket is extremely soft and smooth to prevent bleeding and injury to the tissue. The Nitinol material gives the basket the additional advantage of the ultimate flexibility to move easily and safely toward to the stone - even in patients with difficult anatomy. Nitinol is a nickel and titan shape memory alloy and possesses properties like biocompatibility and high flexibility. Even when changing its shape, Nitinol can remember its previous form and change back.
Because the stones can be completely removed in just a single session in almost all cases, the procedure is highly effective.
The additional portfolio supplied by Olympus enable surgeons to render accurate and exact diagnoses while accomplishing a fast, safe and effective intervention:
- the flexible endoscope (ureteroscope) produces crystal clear and 3-times larger images, allowing visibility directly onto the stone and its location.
- The new NBI function enables a better diagnosis of suspicious structures and simulates a 3D view of the mucosa.
- Access Sheath and Nitinol Guidewire permit rapid and nearly pain-free access to the ureter or kidney.
Since this minimally invasive procedure is performed with a Nitinol basket, stone removal is feasible in one single invasion and recovery of the patient is very fast, due to the reduced procedure time.
For questions or further information, please contact:
TBWA+ Healthcare Communication Hamburg, Germany Dr. Kerstin Brandt Phone: +49(0)40-36907-455 email@example.com Olympus Europa Holding GmbH Hamburg, Germany Stefanie Thiele Phone: +49(0)40-23773-5746 firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Olympus Europa Holding GmbH