- Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Oxford, UK to present 12-month CERAMENT™|G results.
LUND, Sweden, Sept. 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- BONESUPPORT, an emerging leader in injectable bone substitutes for orthopedic trauma, bone infections and instrument augmentation related to orthopedic surgery, announced today that its platform technology CERAMENT™, will be prominently featured at the 33rd Annual Meeting of the European Bone & Joint Infection Society (EBJIS), September 11-13, in the Netherlands, including 12-month results of CERAMENT™|G from Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Oxford. CERAMENT™|G, which contains the antibiotic gentamicin, is the first injectable antibiotic eluting bone substitute indicated to promote and protect bone healing being jeopardized by infection offering surgeons a groundbreaking solution in the management of osteomyelitis.
Osteomyelitis (bone infection) is a $1.7 billion market where prolonged, long-term antibiotic therapy, repeated unsuccessful surgical interventions and the threat of amputation are the current standard of care. An increase in prosthetic infections, diabetic ulcers, war injuries, sports injuries, and antibiotic resistance contribute to rising rates of osteomyelitis and increased costs to the healthcare system.
The EBJIS is a European association of orthopedic surgeons, trauma surgeons, infection specialists and microbiologists. The annual meeting will bring together experts in the field from more than thirty countries with the goal of promoting prevention and treatment of bone and joint infections.
"As the first antibiotic eluting bone substitute, CERAMENT™|G has the potential to impact the surgical strategy for managing osteomyelitis, by providing a more effective delivery of antibiotics, reducing treatment time, minimizing surgical interventions and lowering healthcare costs," said Lloyd Diamond, CEO of BONESUPPORT. "We are pleased that CERAMENT™ is being recognized and featured so prominently at the EBJIS congress, as this is a strong validation of the merits of our platform technology among the industries leading experts."
CERAMENT™ will be featured at the following events:
- Wednesday, September 10, 2014
- Pre-congress workshop "Advances in local delivery of antibiotics for the management of bone infections," chaired by Professor Andrej Trampuz of Berlin and Dr. Frank Bloemers of Amsterdam.
- Thursday, September 11, 2014
- Podium presentation "In vitro characterization of a vancomycin eluting injectable bone graft substitute with examination of concomitant bone remodeling in rabbit," by Associate Prof. F. Lindberg.
- Friday, September 12, 2014
- Podium presentation "A prospective clinical outcome study of a new biphasic absorbable composite carrier with Gentamicin in the treatment of chronic osteomyelitis," presented by Mr. M. McNally.
- Congress Symposium "One-Stage Surgery and the Multidisciplinary approach to Bone and Joint Infections," chaired by Prof. L. Lidgren (Lund) an Dr. W Hettwer (Copenhagen)
BONESUPPORT is an emerging leader of injectable bone graft substitutes for orthopedic trauma focusing on bone infection, instrument augmentation and spinal applications. CERAMENT™ is an injectable, synthetic bone substitute that mimics the properties of cancellous bone, allows for controlled resorption to support future bone ingrowth and is injectable under local anesthesia for minimally invasive surgery. CERAMENT's unique biologic properties deliver a consistent, pre-packed and ready-to-use formulation to facilitate optimal delivery. CERAMENT™|G is the first CE-marked injectable antibiotic eluting ceramic bone graft substitute. CERAMENT™|G is indicated to promote and protect bone healing in the management of osteomyelitis, (bone infections) in CE marked countries. CERAMENT™|G is not available in the United States.
CERAMENT™ is a fully developed product platform that is commercially available in the U.S. and Europe and is revolutionizing the treatment of fragility and other fractures caused by disease and trauma. Scientific research of CERAMENT spans more than eleven years. Over forty-five pre-clinical, clinical and animal studies have been conducted and close to 9,000 patients have been treated with CERAMENT. The company was founded in 1999 and is based in Lund, Sweden with subsidiary locations in the US and Germany. To learn more about BONESUPPORT please visit www.bonesupport.com.
Chief Financial Officer
Phone +46 46 286 53 60
PR 0370-01 en