CHESTER, England, August 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Over 40 per cent have dented their finances with this Summer's celebrations
Summer 2012 in the UK has provided a blockbuster number of events for Brits to splash their cash on, from the Diamond Jubilee celebrations through to the Olympic Games, and many consumers have ended up spending extra than they had planned, according to MoneySupermarket.
A site poll run on Britain's number one comparison site, found over 38 per cent said this Summer's events had impacted their finances with over half of these (58 per cent) spending more than they had planned to. Almost a quarter (24 per cent) who overspent had no regrets about doing so; a further 18 per cent had used their credit card and would worry about paying it off at a later date.
A sensible eight per cent took a prudent approach and had already budgeted for the extra expense likely to be incurred through celebrating the summer events.
Kevin Mountford, head of banking at MoneySupermarket, said: "It has really been a fantastic summer full of celebrations so it's no surprise consumers have entered into the spirit and spent more than they planned.
"Whilst it's good to see some have already budgeted for the extra expense, it's really important to be savvy about how you plan to pay for it or you could be left feeling the pinch for many months to come. For those who used a credit card to pay for the extra expenditure need to make sure they have the right plastic, otherwise they could be paying over the odds. Transferring any existing debts from Summer spending on to a balance transfer card such as the Barclaycard Platinum Credit Card offering 22 months interest free can help spread the cost over the promotional period. Make sure you repay at least the minimum payment on time each month; otherwise you could lose the zero per cent deal. "
Notes to Editors:
Have this summer's events put a dent in your finances?
- Yes - I've already spent more than I planned - 22.4%
- Yes - I've put it on my credit card and will think about it later - 6.8%
- Yes - But I don't regret doing so - 9.2%
- No - I'd already budgeted to spend more - 7.9%
- No - I didn't spend any extra - 40.4%
- No - I've spent less because I've watched so much TV - 12.3%
- I'm not sure - 1%
Total votes: 1,210
MoneySupermarket.com compares (at 20th July 2012)
- 102 car insurance providers and 81 home insurance providers
- 11 broadband providers and 18 energy providers
- 32 unsecured loan and 6 secured loan providers
- 60 mortgage lenders and 28 credit card providers
- 67 savings providers and 37 current account providers.
- Over 1,600,000 mobile phone deals
We help our customers to save money on all of their household bills by providing a free, easy to use online service so they can compare a wide range of products in one place and find the product most suited to their needs. Our size means we are able to offer our customers exclusive, market-leading deals, including some they can't even get direct from providers.
By having considerable volumes of informed customers actively looking for products and ready to purchase, we offer our providers an efficient and cost effective customer acquisition solution across all of our channels. This enables our providers to target their marketing spend in an effective and completely measurable way.
Our revenue comes predominantly from fees paid to us by product providers when a customer clicks through to their website and actually applies for or purchases a product. It is a success based marketing fee.
Our customer commitment
- We make it easy to find the brands you expect to see
- We strive to ensure a product cannot be found cheaper by going direct
- We let you remain in control of your personal data
- We are independent and impartial
- We make it easy to switch and save
- We strive to always show the most competitive product available
For further information please contact:
Jemma Green / Alice Stevens / Victoria Murray
+44(0)20-7294-3642 / +44(0)20-7566-9705 / +44(0)20-7566-9708
firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: +44(0)1244- 370-317