CHESTER, England, July 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Specified items of gold on insurance policies have more than doubled over the last two years
- Average insured value of gold not increased in line with gold prices
- Almost a third of Brits have bought items of gold recently
The number of British consumers specifying items of gold on their home insurance policy has more than doubled over the past two years, but homeowners are potentially leaving themselves underinsured due to the rising cost of gold according to analysis of 3.2 million quotes through MoneySupermarket.
The fifth edition of the MoneySupermarket Monitor on home insurance,* reveals recordings of specified items of gold on insurance policies have more than doubled since Spring 2010, with an increase of 103 per cent. However, despite the price of gold rising by an astonishing 43 per cent over the past two years, the average insured value of gold listed on policies has only risen by 5.8 per cent, suggesting many households could be considerably underinsured.
Further research by MoneySupermarket.com revealed a third of UK adults (28.9 per cent) have bought items of gold recently, with 16 per cent buying it as an investment.*** A fifth of those (21 per cent) have added the gold onto their home insurance policy as a specified single item. A further 30 per cent have not specified their gold on their insurance policy as they don't believe the value is high enough and another 19 per cent simply can't be bothered to add their gold onto their policy as a specified item.
Julie Fisher, head of home insurance at MoneySupermarket, said: "Many perceive gold as a 'safe haven' asset during these challenging economic times, and the cost of gold has increased markedly over the past few years. However, our analysis shows that the average insured value of gold items has not risen in line with the market increases and many people could find their precious items are underinsured. It is therefore important people reassess the value of any gold they own. I urge people to make sure the increased value of their gold is reflected in their insurance policies rather than simply rolling over the insured value year after year. A gold ring, which may have cost a couple of hundred pounds several years ago, may now be worth four or five times that value, so it is worth seeking a professional valuation.
"If you underinsure items on your policy, many insurers will invoke a condition of average clause which means you would only receive a percentage of the actual value of an item should you make a claim.
"Additionally, it is essential to add any specified items over £1,500 on your home insurance policy to ensure you don't take any risks which mean you are not covered for those items in the event of an accident or burglary."
* MoneySupermarket Monitor Fifth Edition. Based on 3,180,114 million home insurance quotes from 1st June 2011 - 31st May 2010.
The full report is available at: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/home-insurance/monitor/
Autumn: September -November
*** Research run by One Poll on 11.07.12. Based on 1000 respondents.
MoneySupermarket.com compares (at 20th June 2012)
- 100 car insurance providers and 81 home insurance providers
- 12 broadband providers and 18 energy providers
- 32 unsecured loan and 6 secured loan providers
- 58 mortgage lenders and 28 credit card providers
- 67 savings providers and 37 current account providers.
- Over 1,700,000 mobile phone deals
We help our customers to save money on all of their household bills by providing a free, easy to use online service so they can compare a wide range of products in one place and find the product most suited to their needs. Our size means we are able to offer our customers exclusive, market-leading deals, including some they can't even get direct from providers.
By having considerable volumes of informed customers actively looking for products and ready to purchase, we offer our providers an efficient and cost effective customer acquisition solution across all of our channels. This enables our providers to target their marketing spend in an effective and completely measurable way.
Our revenue comes predominantly from fees paid to us by product providers when a customer clicks through to their website and actually applies for or purchases a product. It is a success based marketing fee.
Our customer commitment
- We make it easy to find the brands you expect to see
- We strive to ensure a product cannot be found cheaper by going direct
- We let you remain in control of your personal data
- We are independent and impartial
- We make it easy to switch and save
- We strive to always show the most competitive product available
For further information, please contact: