SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 11, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The global needle coke market size is projected to reach USD 5.4 billion by 2025, accelerating at a CAGR of 6.9% over the forecast period, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Surging demand for needle coke in the manufacturing of lithium-ion battery is a key factor driving the industry growth.
Key suggestions from the report:
- Premium-grade segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.9%, in terms of revenue, from 2019 to 2025 owing to the rising installation of ultra-high power electrical arc furnaces (EAF) and growing requirement for graphite electrodes in steel industry
- Electrode was the dominant application segment in 2018 with over 64.0% of the volume share
- Asia Pacific was the major market for needle coke and accounted for 63.7% of the overall volume in 2018
- Asbury Carbons Inc.; JXTG Nippon Oil & Energy Corp.; China National Petroleum Corp.; Baosteel Group; Indian Oil Corporation Limited; Hongte Chemical Industry (Group) Co. Ltd.; Sojitz JECT Corp.; and Seadrift Coke L.P. are some of the key companies in the needle coke market
- In December 2018, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation announced plans to increase the production capacity at its Yokkaichi Plant. The plant produces electrodes that are used in lithium-ion batteries.
Read 118 page research report with TOC on "Needle Coke Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Grade (Super-Premium, Premium, Intermediate), By Application (Electrode, Silicon Metals, Carbon Black), By Region, And Segment Forecasts, 2019 - 2025" at: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/needle-coke-market
Needle coke is a primary element used in the manufacturing of graphite electrodes. The utilization of graphite in batteries has expanded at a robust pace over the past few years. It is the second heaviest component in lithium-ion batteries. These batteries require up to 10 to 20 times more graphite than lithium. Growth of steel industry along with increasing demand from lithium-ion batteries in electric vehicles is likely to remain a key driving factor for market growth in this region.
Rapid increase in demand for lithium-ion batteries from the automotive industry is expected to fuel the growth of needle coke industry. In addition, rising focus on the reduction of automobile weight to improve fuel efficiency and reduce carbon emissions is anticipated to drive the industry growth further. Graphite helps in providing substantial weight reduction and enhances the efficiency of batteries.
ConocoPhillips, Asbury, Sumitomo Chemical Company, and Seadrift Coke are the major players in the market for needle coke. These companies have a strong customer base, differential product offerings, and a robust distribution network across the globe. The threat of new entrants in the market is low due to high initial investments required for setting up manufacturing units and stringent government regulations.
Grand View Research has segmented the global needle coke market on the basis of grade, application, and region.
- Needle Coke Grade Outlook (Volume, Kilo Tons; Revenue, USD Million, 2014 - 2025)
- Needle Coke Application Outlook (Volume, Kilo Tons; Revenue, USD Million, 2014 - 2025)
- Silicon metals & ferroalloys
- Carbon black
- Rubber compounds
- Needle Coke Regional Outlook (Volume, Kilo Tons; Revenue, USD Million, 2014 - 2025)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Find more research reports on Petrochemicals Industry, by Grand View Research:
- Phenol Market – Global demand for industrial phenol is growing at a steady pace in past few years, owing to the commercial viability and use of its derivatives which are used to manufacture a wide variety of products.
- Methanol Market – Global methanol market is expected to witness high growth over the forecast period owing to its widespread applications in various end use industries such as plastics, automotive, paints & adhesives, construction and pharmaceutical.
- Bunker Oil Market – Growing ship transportation industry is expected drive the global bunker oil market growth over the next seven years. Bunker oil is emerging as the primary fuel for marine and shipping industry.
Gain access to Grand View Compass, our BI enabled intuitive market research database of 10,000+ reports
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Follow Us: LinkedIn | Twitter
SOURCE Grand View Research, Inc.