SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The global gaucher disease (GD) drugs market size is expected to reach USD 1.71 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., exhibiting a CAGR of 1.1% during the forecast period. Growing prevalence of the disease and increasing research and development activities in the field are likely to help the market in gaining momentum over the coming years. With high unmet needs, there is a strong need for development of novel treatments with improved efficacy in neuronopathic complications, convenient dosage, and reduced cost.
Key suggestions from the report:
- Type 2 is the rarest of the three forms of GD, with average mortality rate of less than two years
- Enzyme replacement therapy dominated the treatment landscape, headed by Sanofi Genzyme's Cerezyme. However, GD treatment is witnessing a shift towards substrate replacement therapy, which is anticipated to register a CAGR of over 7.5% during the forecast period
- The U.S. spearheaded the major markets, in terms of sales as well as disease burden. The country will continue to dominate the market through 2025, on account of widening patient base and easy accessibility to treatments
- Some of prominent companies operating in the market are Sanofi Genzyme, Shire, Pfizer, and Johnson & Johnson
- Sanofi Genzyme led the competitive space and is projected to continue holding prominent position in the market over the coming years, due to significant commercial performances of Cerezyme and Cerdelga
Read 84 page research report with TOC on "Gaucher Disease Drugs Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Type, By Therapy (Enzyme Replacement Therapy, Substrate Replacement Therapy), By Major Markets, And Segment Forecasts, 2018 - 2025" at: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/gaucher-disease-drugs-market
Gaucher disease is a genetic metabolic disorder, caused by mutations in GBA gene. People with Gaucher disease produce low glucocerebrosidase (GCase), an enzyme required to degrade glucocerebroside. Excess accumulation of lipids in spleen, liver, kidney, brain, lungs, and bone marrow impedes the normal functioning of the organs.
In spite of being the most prevalent lysosomal storage disorder, Gaucher disease is a rare condition with an average prevalence of 1 in 100,000 individuals. However, certain ethnic races such as Ashkenazi Jews are more susceptible to this disorder. Ashkenazi Jews have an average disease prevalence of 1 in 500 individuals.
Currently, type 1 is the most common form of Gaucher disease. This condition is nonneuronopathic in nature, as it does not affect the central nervous system (CNS). Type 1 GD commanded more than 75.0% of the market in 2017. It is estimated to retain its position through 2025. Type 2 and type 3 are not as common as type 1.
On the basis of treatment, enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) was the leading revenue contributor in the market in 2017. The growth of the segment can be attributed to strong sales of Cerezyme and Vpriv. However, there has been an increase in inclination towards substrate replacement therapy (SRT), spearheaded by Cerdelga and Zavesca. ERT is mostly indicated for type 1 and type 3 (to address issues unrelated to the CNS), as replacement enzymes cannot penetrate blood brain barrier. Additionally, there is no effective treatment for type 2.
Grand View Research has segmented the global Gaucher disease drugs market based on type, therapy, and country:
- Gaucher Disease Drugs Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2025)
- Type 1
- Type 2
- Type 3
- Gaucher Disease Drugs Therapy Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2025)
- Enzyme Replacement Therapy
- Substrate Replacement Therapy
- Gaucher Disease Drugs Country Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2025)
Find more research reports on Pharmaceuticals Industry, by Grand View Research:
- D-Dimer Market – Increasing incidence of pulmonary embolisms and heart strokes and rising demand for advanced coagulation testing techniques which brings more revenues to this market.
- Biopharmaceutical Market – Biopharmaceutical Market to witness highest growth for the estimated period owing to presence of sophisticated healthcare infrastructure, growing geriatric population base and increased healthcare expenditure.
- Hospital Acquired Disease Testing Market – The increasing morbidity rates of Nosocomial infection worldwide along with the prevalence of pathogens, bacterial, fungal & viral diseases are the vital drivers for the growth of hospital acquired infection or hospital associated infection (HAI) diagnostics market
Gain access to Grand View Compass, our BI enabled intuitive market research database of 10,000+ reports
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Follow Us: LinkedIn | Twitter
SOURCE Grand View Research, Inc.