SAN FRANCISCO, May 29, 2018 /PRNewswire/ --
The global ceramic armor market size is estimated to reach USD 3.04 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., presenting a 7.2% CAGR during the forecast period. The market is driven by increasing unrest among countries, cross-border disputes, and terrorist activities, which creates the need for advanced protection systems for soldiers as well as combat vehicles. Advancements in material technologies and manufacturing techniques are driving adoption of ceramic as armor materials.
The use of ceramic armor is governed by various acts and regulations, led by organizations such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), and United States Department of Defense (DoD). Design and testing standards are developed to investigate the level of intensity that a body armor can withstand against threats. Manufacturers and vendors selling ceramic body armor need to comply with these standards.
Based on material, the alumina material segment accounts for a relatively larger market share due to its inexpensive processing and higher density. By application, the homeland security segment is estimated to exhibit the highest growth rate over the forecast period. Demand for ceramic armor in defense is attributed to the emerging trend of upgrading military equipment. Surging need for safeguarding military personnel is encouraging large-scale procurement of body vests across the globe.
By way of platform, the market has been categorized into defense, homeland security, and civilians. While the civilian application segment has witnessed comparatively slower adoption of body armor, growing rate of terrorism across the globe has driven adoption in the homeland security segment.
North America acquired the largest market share in 2016, primarily owing to rising investments by defense agencies in performance products to increase and maintain its military strength. The prevailing insurgency in Middle Eastern countries is expected to increase the sale of armored vehicles in the region. Saudi Arabia and UAE are potential customers for armor vehicle manufacturers owing to their involvement in military operations in Yemen.
Some key participants operating in the industry are Ceradyne (U.S.); Saint Gobain Ceramics & Plastics (U.S.); ArmorWorks (U.S.); CeramTec (Germany); CoorsTek Inc. (U.S.); Koninklijke Ten Cate BV (Netherlands); M Cubed Technologies(U.S.); Olbo & Mehler (Germany); Safariland LLC (U.S.); and KDH Defense Systems, Inc.(U.S.).
The development of ceramic armors is backed by government support to protect sovereign capabilities. For instance, the Defense & Science Technology Laboratory (DSTL) of the UK Ministry of Defense is working in collaboration with Kennametal Manufacturing UK to increase the ceramic armor capabilities of its defense unit.
Browse full research report with TOC on "Ceramic Armor Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Material (Ceramic-metal Composite, Silicon Carbide), By Application (Body, Aircraft, Defense, Marine), By Platform, And Segment Forecasts, 2018 - 2025" at: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/ceramic-armor-market
Further Key Findings From the Report Suggest:
- Silicon carbide is widely used in body and defense armor owing to its properties such as high strength and hardness to withstand advanced threats
- Armored vehicles are the primary application for ceramic metal composites as they provide enhanced strength and ballistic properties to the vehicle
- Increasing trend of providing body armor to first responders across U.S. and European countries is expected to support market growth over the forecast period
- Growth of the homeland security segment is driven by lack of government body armor supplies to police personnel in emerging economies such as India and Pakistan
- North America dominated the global ceramic armor market, accounting for more than one-third of the total market in terms of revenue in 2016.
Browse related reports by Grand View Research:
- Machine Translation (MT) Market - The global machine translation market size was valued at USD 433.0 million in 2016 and is expected to develop at a CAGR of 14.6% over the forecast period.
- Enterprise Application Market - The global enterprise application market size was pegged at USD 164.46 billion in 2016 and is expected to develop at a CAGR of 7.8% over the forecast period.
- Smart Thermostat Market - The global smart thermostat market was valued at USD 785.4 million in 2015, and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 18.7% (in terms of revenue) from the year 2016 to 2022.
- Endpoint Security Market - The endpoint security market size was USD 10.12 billion in 2015. The emerging concept of BYOD across organizations is expected to drive the market over the forecast period.
Grand View Research has segmented the global ceramic armor market based on material, application, platform, and region:
- Ceramic Armor Material Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2014 - 2025)
- Ceramic Metal Composite
- Boron Carbide
- Ceramic Armor Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2014 - 2025)
- Body Armor
- Aircraft Armor
- Defense Armor
- Marine Armor
- Ceramic Armor Platform Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2014 - 2025)
- Homeland Security
- Ceramic Armor Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2014 - 2025)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- South America
- The Middle East & Africa
Explore the BI enabled intuitive market research database, The Grand Library, by Grand View Research, Inc.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, Inc. is a U.S. based market research and consulting company, registered in the State of California and headquartered in San Francisco. The company provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. To help clients make informed business decisions, we offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a range of industries, from technology to chemicals, materials and healthcare.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
SOURCE Grand View Research, Inc.