REUS, Spain, February 26, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
Pistachios are a reliable source of vitamins, minerals and beneficial phytonutrients. These nuts have been present in the human diet for years, and alone or mixed with other nuts and dried fruit, they have multiple benefits for our body. Besides, results of a recent study from Harvard University show that a daily portion of nuts lowers the death rate by 20%.
Regular consumption of pistachios as part of a balanced diet can help reverse the risks associated with pre-diabetes and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Tree Nuts are rich in vitamin E, folic acid, fiber, magnesium, potassium, arginine, plant sterols and phytochemical compounds. Furthermore, they have a low content of saturated fatty acids, among others.
Asparagus Spinach Pistachio Pesto
- 1 pound asparagus
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts
- ¼ cup spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pound package of pasta
- Add asparagus into a pot with boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Chop the asparagus and add a cup into a food processor with the spinach, garlic, 2 tablespoons of pistachios, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Blend until a paste.
- Boil the pasta.
- Mix the pesto and half of the pasta water.
- Chop the remaining pistachios.
- Serve the pasta with the pistachios and grated Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
Lamb with mint, sultanas, dried apricots and a crust of pistachios and cashews
- Ingredients (4 people):
- 2 shoulders of lamb
- 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 150cc dry white wine
- 250g dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- Large bunch of fresh mint
For the crust:
- 100g cashews
- 50g pistachios
- Rub the shoulders with garlic, season.
- Roast 30 minutes at 200ºC, lower to 170ºC and add wine.
- Roast 50 minutes, adding water often.
- Remove from the oven, separate the juice, cover with finely-chopped pistachios and cashews.
- Return to the oven and grill until golden.
- Put the cooking juices in a pan with sultanas and dried apricots.
- Add chopped mint to the sauce.
- Serve the shoulders with sauce on the side.
About the INC
The International Nut & Dried Fruit Council (INC) groups nearly 700 companies of the nut and dried fruit sector from over 70 countries. The INC is the international organization of reference as regards nuts and dried fruits, health, nutrition, food safety, statistics, international standards and regulations.
SOURCE INTERNATIONAL NUT AND DRIED FRUIT COUNCIL