NEW YORK, June 30, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- When Virtuoso® asks, travelers respond, and some of the most up-to-the-minute travel trends and preferences emerge. Virtuoso, the international network of luxury travel agencies, conducts an annual survey that asks forward-looking questions and sizes up the answers. The 2015 Travel Dreams Survey results are in.
The Facts: More than 5,800 travelers completed the survey. And travel they will: 59% will take 1-3 trips this year, 29% will take 4-6 trips and 12% will take 7 or more. That's a lot of miles as they follow their Top Travel Pursuits: Cultural/Historical (42%), Cruising (40%), Adventure/Nature (37%), Beach (31%), Family (25%), Food & Wine (24%), River Cruising (22%), City Getaways (19%), Relaxation/Spa (16%), and Romantic (15%).
Dream Destinations: Perennial favorites reappeared, underscoring the appeal of certain destinations. Virtuoso travel advisors can tailor customized trips for every locale, proving that even traditional favorites can reveal hidden secrets. Australia (1) topped the list followed by (2) Italy, (3) New Zealand, (4) France, (5) Greece, (6) Ireland, (7) the Caribbean, (8) Fiji, (9) England, and (10) Antarctica.
Trips of a Lifetime: The quest for a trip unlike any other is where Virtuoso travel advisors shine. The Top 10 experiences follow:
- European River / Canal Cruises – Virtuoso Trend: The popularity of river cruising continues unabated. A new focus on families has river cruise lines offering dedicated sailings, shore experiences, on-board programs, and even ships configured for families.
- World Cruises – Virtuoso Tip from Janet Lavern, travel advisor: "World cruisers are often seasoned travelers who have already been to some of the ports of call and done the typical excursions. A Virtuoso travel advisor can arrange for a local guide to dig deeper beyond the tourist sights to discover something completely new."
- Multigenerational travel – Virtuoso Tip from Matthew D. Upchurch, Virtuoso Chairman & CEO: "One of the smartest things you can do, if you have the means, is take your kids to China, India, or Brazil. These countries will influence much of the business being done now and in the future, and kids who have insight into these cultures, who learn to adapt in unfamiliar surroundings early on, and who gain an understanding of the world around them, will have a certain advantage when it's time to enter the workforce."
- Exploring the Greek Isles – Virtuoso Statistic: Travel to Greece is back on the rise, even placing it on Virtuoso's list of top summer destinations. Overall, travel to Greece is up 41 percent, with 58 percent of bookings occurring June through August as travelers head to their favorite isles: Santorini, Mykonos, Crete, and Rhodes.
- Australia's highlights – Virtuoso Statistic: Australia is the fastest-growing destination for luxury travelers, according to Virtuoso data. Bookings are up 137 percent from the same time period last year.
- Italy's Amalfi Coast – Virtuoso Tip from Vicky DiMichele, travel advisor: "Springtime along the Amalfi Coast, specifically on Capri, is my favorite time to visit. There are some amazing restaurants, such as Ristorante Michel'angelo, tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the shopping district. At Da Paolino Lemon Trees Restaurant, guests dine at tables in the middle of an actual lemon grove!"
- Ireland's Castles and Countryside – Virtuoso Tip from Kimberly Georgi, travel advisor: "Whether you play golf or not, a trip to Old Head Golf Course is a must. Set on a peninsula with breathtaking views atop steep cliffs of the blue Irish Sea on three sides, Ireland never looked so enchanting. Stop for a pint at the outdoor bar and catch a panoramic view of green fairways that drop sharply into the ocean where your caddy might be heard saying, 'You won't be playing that ball, Laddie.'"
- A month in Provence – Virtuoso Tip: Rent a villa for a live-like-a-local experience. Virtuoso has access to more than 160 villas in this French region. Villa concierges can manage everything from pre-stocking the kitchen to organizing live shows.
- Galápagos Islands Expedition – Virtuoso Statistic: Ecuador is the fastest growing and most popular country in South America, according to Virtuoso sales for summer 2015, which are up 84 percent from 2014.
- Tahitian overwater bungalow – Virtuoso Tip from Laura Crafton, travel advisor: "My favorite activity in Bora Bora is a boat trip to swim with the rays and reef sharks. I make sure my clients book a beach barbecue afterward. After a morning of adventure there is nothing better than eating fresh coconut and feasting on delicious Tahitian cuisine while relaxing on a private motu."
To explore endless options of where to travel next, visit virtuoso.com.
Virtuoso® is the leading network of luxury travel advisors and entities. This by-invitation-only organization comprises over 355 agencies with more than 9,000 elite travel specialists in 28 countries throughout North America, Latin America, and the Caribbean, Asia-Pacific and Europe, as well as over 1,700 of the world's best travel providers and premier destinations. The network's member agencies generate over (U.S.) $14 billion annually in travel sales, making the group the most powerful in the luxury travel segment. Their relationships with the finest travel companies provide the network's affluent clientele with exclusive amenities, rare experiences, and privileged access. For more details, visit virtuoso.com.
Misty Ewing Belles