LONDON, November 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- #vypesocial to Examine How e-Cigarettes Could Change the UK Night Out Forever -
- With Photo -
The UK's first ever electronic cigarette bar opens in London tomorrow, Tuesday 12 November.
#vypesocial, located in Shoreditch, is open until the end of the month and aims to identify and demonstrate the potential for new rituals and etiquettes around the use of electronic cigarettes in social venues. The hope is that new rules could enhance the sociability between smokers and non-smokers during a night out.
There is currently confusion about where e-cigarettes can and cannot be used - some venues ban their use inside, despite the fact they contain no tobacco and produce no ash or smoke.
An in-depth piece of research, commissioned by new e-cigarette brand Vype for the launch of #vypesocial, explored the elements of a night out and found smokers frequently disrupt conversations by leaving their friends while they go outside.
Unsurprisingly, 82% of those questioned said friends and 69% said conversation were the most important elements of a good night. However, 40% of non-smokers said that being left alone while friends went outside to smoke is a real bugbear for them while 31% said that friends who often went out for a 'quick cigarette' but were then always gone a long time, was also hugely annoying. Vype also found that 70% of non-smokers said their friends abandoned them at least twice on an average night out while 40% were left alone on four occasions or more. 40% of non-smokers welcomed the idea that friends could stay inside with them and use an e-cigarette instead of smoking.
E-cigarettes have grown in popularity with an estimated 1.3 million UK adults using them and have the potential to solve this problem of fragmented groups and conversation. However, lack of knowledge of the rules and etiquette around e-cigarettes may be stopping people from using them in pubs, bars and clubs. 60% of people were very unclear about when and where e-cigarettes could be used with less than half (49%) of people believing their use was allowed in bars and only a third (37%) knowing they were allowed in restaurants.
Even those who have used e-cigarettes were unsure of the etiquette with nearly 70% using e-cigarettes inside but discreetly, or even going outside with smokers, with just 32% confident enough to use them in full view of staff and other people.
#vypesocial is working with innovative companies including Rebel Dining Society, Future Shorts and mixmag, to host a series of pop-up events across dating, gaming, film, food and clubbing at an e-cigarette-friendly venue to start the debate.
Where do you stand? Join the debate now by coming along to one of the events, or tweeting your thoughts to @GoVype
For more information and full events listings, please go to: http://www.vypesocial.com
Notes to editors
The research, commissioned by Vype, was conducted by OnePoll amongst 2,000 people across the UK between 01/11/13 and 04/11/13.
About Vype e-cigarettes:
- Vype e-cigarettes contain nicotine and are designed for adult smokers
- They are available in two flavours: Classic and Menthol (with the Classic flavour coming in two nicotine strengths: Bold and Regular)
- Contains ECOpure e-liquid which is manufactured in the UK and is one of the purest e-liquids available
- Vype is available as a disposable e-cigarette (each one delivering approximately 130 puffs in laboratory testing) and reload, a rechargeable e-cigarette (with each reload cartridge delivering approximately 250 puffs in laboratory testing). The number of puffs will depend on personal vyping behaviour
- Vype is sold by CN Creative Limited, a Manchester based Bioscience company which was acquired by BAT in late 2012.
- CN Creative sits in the Nicoventures division of the BAT Group which is managed separately from the tobacco business.
- For more information on Vype go to: http://uk.govype.com/ or find us on http://www.Facebook.com/Govype and Twitter @goVype
Note to Editors:
A picture/s accompanying this release is available through the PA Photowire. It can be downloaded from http://www.pa-mediapoint.press.net or viewed at http://www.mediapoint.press.net or http://www.prnewswire.co.uk.