LONDON, June 18, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
UBM plc's new London offices at 240 Blackfriars, have been awarded the prestigious LEED Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)]. UBM's offices are only the fourth LEED Platinum Commercial Interior in London and a LEED score of 87 points makes the offices the second highest rated LEED-CI project in the country.
LEED - Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design - is an internationally-recognised rating system created by the US Green Building Council to judge the sustainability performance of new buildings. Based on well-founded scientific standards, LEED provides a complete framework to help organisations create a more sustainable built environment by focusing on the following key areas: site selection, energy efficiency, water efficiency, responsible material and resources selection, indoor environmental quality, awareness and education, and sustainable innovation.
Highlights of UBM's 240 Blackfriars offices' sustainable design include:
- 100 bicycle racks with nearby lockers and shower room facilities, encouraging carbon-free commuting.
- The site is readily accessible via multiple forms of public transport; no car parking facilities on site for staff.
- Daylight and occupancy sensor-controlled lighting and zone-controlled heating, reducing electricity usage by up to 30%.
- 90% of all electrical equipment is Energy Star* rated.
- Desk booking system with 'log-in & power-up technology' saving up to 35% of the power utilised at desks.
- Utility smart meters on all floors for power, lighting, hot water and chilled water, enabling floor by floor utility consumption comparisons (allowing UBM to run competitions between floors for reducing utility consumption).
- All bathrooms are equipped with high efficiency taps, shower heads and WCs, reducing water usage by up to 35%.
- 98% of the waste associated with the office fit-out was recycled and diverted from landfill.
- 60% of fit-out materials were manufactured regionally, within a 500 mile radius.
- UBM chose to use low-emitting materials for paints, coatings, adhesives and sealants.
- UBM's in-house caterers met sustainable sourcing requirements for serving locally-sourced, seasonal and fair trade products.
- Automatic blinds have been installed which respond to changes in sunlight conditions, helping to keep the offices at a comfortable temperature.
- 30% higher than industry standard** volumes of fresh air are pumped around the building.
- 'Green walls' of climbing plants in some meeting rooms and communal areas naturally remove carbon dioxide, minimise dust and pollutants, thereby adding to the improved air quality in the offices.
Innovation & Education:
- UBM employs an extensive carbon tracking program, part of which utilises automatic data collection of energy consumption from smart meters across UBM's global office portfolio. UBM uses this data to run comparison competitions. The UBM London office is therefore able to see how it is performing against other global UBM offices on a weekly, daily or hourly basis, as required, driving energy efficiency and behavioural change.
- UBM has continued its Zero Waste to Landfill practice in its 240 Blackfriars offices, targeting 90% of waste being recycled, with the remainder sent to energy from waste facilities.
Richard Fedrizzi, CEO & Founding Chairman of U.S. Green Building Council said:
"LEED certification identifies UBM plc 240 Blackfriars as a showcase example of sustainable design and demonstrates your leadership in transforming the building industry."
* Energy Star products are independently certified to save energy without sacrificing features or functionality
** ASHRAE 62.1-2007 Standard
Notes to Editors
1.About UBM plc - UBM plc is a leading global events-led marketing services and communications company. We help businesses do business, bringing the world's buyers and sellers together at events, online and in print. Our 5,000 staff in more than 20 countries are organised into specialist teams which serve commercial and professional communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.
Head of Investor Relations