LONDON, May 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The new BMW 1 Series M Coupé heralds the introduction of a high performance sports car into a compact design that extends the BMW M portfolio and paves the way for a wider audience to appreciate M car ownership. Its stunning performance is derived from the race-bred powertrain, controllable, agile and exploitable chassis of the legendary M cars that have come before it. The finest materials and components, and an attractive, sporty design will ensure it takes a deserved place among the legendary M car icons.
To view the Multimedia News Release, please click:
- 2,979cc engine produces 340hp and up to 500Nm torque whilst propelling the car from zero to 62mph in 4.9 seconds and onto an electronically limited top speed of 155mph.
- Outstanding power to weight ratio of 227hp/tonne ensures unsurpassed performance, agility and efficiency within its segment.
- Only offered with a six-speed manual transmission, specially designed to work with the high-torque engine.
- The extensive use of aluminium ensures it weighs in at just 1,495kg.
- As standard, BMW 1 Series M Coupé comes with Variable M locking differential, compound brakes, DSC with MDM and M Servotronic.
- M Dynamic Mode (MDM) dramatically changes the performance of the car, ensuring that enthusiastic drivers can enjoy their car to the full.
- A newly developed dual-mass flywheel, with lightweight construction, benefits the engine's efficiency and is better able to cope with its higher torque levels thanks to its increased solidity.
- On sale May 2011, priced GBP40,020 OTR.
Dr Kay Segler, former Head of BMW M and the driving force behind this car, said: "It's a pure, clear M car. It's a 1 Series that caters for the young enthusiast, combining the substance of an M3 with a 1 Series and a very strong engine. Together this makes for focused car that begs to be driven.
"Inside the 1 Series M Coupé there is a secret you will find in each and every M car, the M button. By pressing it, this transforms the car into a totally different creature, increasing the throttle response and putting an even bigger smile on your face."
The BMW Group
With its three brands - BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce - the BMW Group is one of the world's most successful premium manufacturers of cars and motorcycles. It operates internationally with 24 production sites in 13 countries and a global sales network with representation in more than 140 countries.
During the financial year 2010, the BMW Group sold 1.46 million cars and more than 110,000 motorcycles worldwide. The profit before tax for 2010 was euro 4.8 billion on revenues amounting to euro 60.5 billion. At 31 December 2010, the BMW Group had a workforce of approximately 95,500 employees.
The success of the BMW Group has always been built on long-term thinking and responsible action. The company has therefore established ecological and social sustainability throughout the value chain, comprehensive product responsibility and a clear commitment to conserving resources as an integral part of its strategy. As a result of its efforts, the BMW Group has been ranked industry leader in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes for the last six years.
BMW UK (http://www.bmw.co.uk/)
BMW UK blogger tool (http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwmedia)
- BMW Pressclub UK (http://www.press.bmwgroup.co.uk)
BMW UK Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/bmwuk?v=wall)
BMW M Power (http://www.m-power.com/)
EVO - BMW 1 Series M Coupé pre-drive ( http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/260017/bmw_1series_m_coupe_review.html)
Yahoo - BMW 1 Series M Coupé pre-drive ( http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/12102010/36/bmw-1-series-m-coupe-0.html)
Auto Express - BMW 1 Series M Coupé ( http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/266848/bmw_1series_m_coup.html)
Car - BMW 1 Series M Coupé ( http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/BMW-1-series-M-Coupe-2011-CAR-review/)
Autocar - BMW 1 Series M Coupé ( http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/BMW-1-Series-M-/256701/)Video: http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/prne/bmwuk/48913/
SOURCE BMW (UK) Ltd