- Innovative Waste Reduction Programs, Renewable Energy Projects and Continuous Progress on Product Chemistry Advance Company's 2016 Environmental Objectives
RACINE, Wisconsin, Feb. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Privately-held SC Johnson released today its 2012 annual public sustainability report (www.scjohnson.com/report) which shares the latest information on the family company's ongoing work to achieve its 2016 environmental goals by using more clean energy, cutting greenhouse gas emissions and creating innovative products that use fewer resources.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/60152-sc-johnson-2012-annual-public-sustainability-report-green-choices
"Over the past year, we've progressed many environmental efforts that are detailed in this report -- from our ongoing work to continually select better ingredients, to innovative new programs related to reducing waste," said Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO of SC Johnson. "The goal of these and other advances is to make the world a better place for future generations. That's the inspiration behind our holistic commitment to the environment, and it's something we work to live up to every day."
The SC Johnson commitment to sustainability is based on a focus to make a positive impact at every stage of a product's lifecycle. Beginning with efforts to make responsible supply chain decisions, the company also works to increase its use of clean energy and package products that use less material. The company's dedication to help consumers make green choices through education and engagement brings this commitment full circle.
For more than 20 years, SC Johnson has set five-year environmental goals to guide this 360-degree approach. Progress and results are publicly shared on a regular basis, along with the latest information about exciting, innovative ways the company is reducing its environmental footprint. This past year marked the first year of SC Johnson's newest five-year environmental strategy, which aims to expand its greenhouse gas focus, explore new ways to minimize landfill impact and continue improving product chemistry.
2012 SC Johnson Public Sustainability Report Highlights
The company has already made great progress towards its 2016 environmental goals as detailed in the report; highlights include:
- Using its internally developed and patented Greenlist™ process, SC Johnson continued to phase out less-desirable ingredients in its product formulations in favor of better choices that have a lesser impact on the environment.
- As part of its award-winning ingredient disclosure program, the company launched an industry-leading Fragrance Palette in North America, providing consumers with an online resource that discloses fragrance ingredients used in SC Johnson products.
- SC Johnson launched a consumer initiative to study and increase recycling by families.
- The company continued progress against its goal of becoming landfill neutral by 2016, which includes using less packaging and more post-consumer-recycled content.
- SC Johnson also increased clean energy use with innovative technologies.
- In December 2012, SC Johnson completed work on two 415-foot-tall wind turbines at the company's largest global manufacturing facility, Waxdale, in Mt. Pleasant, Wisconsin. The turbines will allow SC Johnson to generate on average 100 percent of electrical energy on-site to manufacture trusted brands such as Windex® and Glade® that are produced at Waxdale.
- Three SWIFT mini wind turbines on the roof of its Lowell, Ark., sales office, which are capable of generating as much as 3,600 KWH of electricity annually, reducing carbon dioxide emissions equal to about 280 gallons of consumed gasoline.
- A new biofuel initiative at its factory in Surabaya, Indonesia - by using waste husks from rice grains as a fuel source, is projected to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 7,800 tons each year.
- SC Johnson expanded its concentrated cleaner refills to five of the company's brands: fantastik®, Pledge®, Scrubbing Bubbles®, Shout® and Windex® in an effort to save millions of pounds of plastic ending up in landfills nationwide.
- SC Johnson continued to support communities around the world through philanthropy and volunteerism. In the last 10 years, SC Johnson contributions have exceeded $200 million.
About SC Johnson's Public Sustainability Report
To minimize waste, SC Johnson limits the number of printed editions and encourages readers to view the report at www.scjohnson.com/report
Learn more about green choices on Twitter at @SCJGreenChoices
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family-owned and managed business dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR. MUSCLE®, and RIDSECT®. The 127-year-old company, that generates $9 billion in sales, employs nearly 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
SOURCE SC Johnson