LONDON, May 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Jon Rouse, the Director General of Social Care, Local Government and Care Partnerships has told ITN Productions that the Care and Support Bill could transform the lives of thousands of elderly and disabled people in the UK.
He said the draft bill has teeth and flexibility, setting out the rights and expectations of those who need care in the future. The bill is now at the second consultation stage and could pass into legislation this year. If it does, it could lift the burden of people living longer.
Speaking exclusively to ITN Productions' Healthcare News Channel, Mr Rouse said: "It [the bill] is a flexible framework that establishes rights, it establishes portability of assessments between different local authority areas and it will enable us to set the threshold for eligibility for care. Most of the definition of what is needed will be in secondary legislation and guidance, that means it can be changed and adapted and adjusted over time."
"We don't know for certain what we're going to need in five, seven, ten years", he went on. "But if we've got the right legislative framework, then we can adjust and adapt as those needs develop over time. I want to ensure the debate about ageing is not about older people being a burden on the state, but what they can contribute. "
To see the full interview with Jon Rouse, and more excusive content with professionals and experts from across the health care industry, please go to: http://www.healthcarenews.itn.co.uk
Healthcare News, presented by Natasha Kaplinsky, also contains reports about:
- The challenge of adapting services as the care sector changes, with AKW
- Empowering the disabled to take charge of their own lives at Chatting Independently
- Home Instead's solutions for care for the aged in the home
- Maria Mallaband Care Group's response to demands of dementia, nursing, palliative and residential care
- Robin Ross speaks with Alistair Burns, National Clinical Director for Dementia on the future for UK elderly care
- Paralympian Ade Adepitan and Department of Health on Personal Independent Payments
- Highlights from this year's Naidex National
- Robin Ross explores the latest innovation and technology at this year's Naidex exhibition
Healthcare News is the latest industry channel from ITN Productions' corporate production team, which works with trade bodies and associations to deliver high-quality news programming for individual vertical business sectors, producing videos about key industry topics, sharing best practice and updating on industry developments.
About ITN Productions: ITN Productions is ITN's central creative hub, producing content for major global brands in the broadcast, online, mobile and corporate sectors.
The Naidex Conference: takes place at the NEC in Birmingham between 30th April and 2nd May and will be attended by doctors and other healthcare professionals, union representatives and industry experts and consultants.
Healthcare News enquiries: Derek Dyson, Executive Producer, ITN Productions
For media enquiries about the Naidex Conference, please contact: Poppie Mickleburgh, i2i events, +44(0)207-728-525, +44(0)7713-392-91, Poppie.email@example.com
SOURCE ITN Productions