ALBANY, New York, February 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
New Report Added in ResearchMoz Reports Database Microcontroller Market to 2015 - Commissioning of Smart Grid Projects to Create Market Opportunities in Advanced Metering Infrastructure and Grid Equipment
Microcontroller Market to 2015 - Commissioning of Smart Grid Projects to Create Market Opportunities in Advanced Metering Infrastructure and Grid Equipment" provides key information and analysis on the market opportunities in the global microcontroller (MCU) industry. The report covers the latest information on the revenue and volume of the microcontrollers market. The report provides product - based, region -based and end-use based forecasts up to 2015.
Browse the full Report: http://www.researchmoz.com/microcontroller-market-to-2015-commissioning-of-smart-grid-projects-to-create-market-opportunities-in-advanced-metering-infrastructure-and-grid-equipment-report.html
The global MCU market currently constitutes around 5% of the overall semiconductor market, and around 24% of the micro Integrated Circuit (IC) market in revenues. MCUs are used in many products, ranging from televisions to computers, and telephones to automobiles. The sales revenue of MCUs reached around $16 billion in 2011, and is growing at a rate which indicates that the market will reach revenue of $18 billion by 2015.
Microcontroller usage in smart grid sector is increasing, as they provide greater reliability in power generation. Various devices and equipment contain microcontrollers and the report discusses their role and also gives a detailed market revenue breakdown along with the key players and their market shares.
This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GBI Research's team of industry experts.
- Key microcontroller segments such as 8-Bit, 16-Bit and 32-Bit have been covered.
- Market Size in terms of sales volume - Historical data for 2004 to 2011 given. Forecast forward until 2015
- Market Size in terms of sales revenue - Historical data for 2004 to 2011 given. Forecast forward until 2015
- Market Share for the year 2011
- Breakdown of market statistics by key end users
- Computer Industry, which includes Desktops, Notebooks, Netbooks, and Tablet PCs
- Communication, consisting of Mobile Phones, Telecom Servers and other Networking Devices
- Consumer Electronics, which comprises High Definition Televisions (HDTV), and DVD players, digital set-top boxes, MP3 players, printers, peripherals and games and PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants).
- Industrial applications such as security systems, smart grids, military equipments and other retail management products.
- Automotives, which use microcontrollers in various applications such as entry systems, anti-lock brakes and car radio systems.
- Key regions such as Asia-Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe and Middle East and Africa have been covered
- Comprehensive profiles of key companies such as Renesas Electronics Corporation, Infineon Technologies AG, Itron Inc, Landis+Gyr AG and Microchip Technology Incorporated have been provided.
- Different analytical frameworks such as Porter's five forces analysis, SWOT Analysis, Supply Chain Analysis have been used to give a comprehensive view of the global microcontroller industry.
Reasons to buy
- Exploit growth opportunities in the global microcontroller market.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends and developments in the global microcontroller market.
- Devise market-entry and expansion strategies for the various microcontroller segments.
- Determine what the future demand potential of microcontrollers across various end user verticals.
- Identify the strengths and weakness of key players in this industry by using SWOT analysis of global microcontroller key players.
- Make informed business decisions using the insightful and in-depth product-based analysis of the market.
- Identify the most promising geography to invest in microcontroller products, to achieve revenue growth.
- Understand the key players and product segments to invest in the upcoming smart grid market.
GBI Research's new report, "Microcontroller Market to 2015 - Commissioning of Smart Grid Projects to Create Market Opportunities in Advanced Metering Infrastructure and Grid Equipment" provides key information and analysis on the market opportunities in the global microcontroller industry. The report covers the latest information on the revenue and volume of the microcontrollers market. The report provides product - based, region -based and end-use based forecasts up to 2015. Microcontroller usage in smart grid sector is increasing, as they provide greater reliability in power generation. Various devices and equipment contain microcontrollers and the report discusses their role and also gives a detailed market revenue breakdown along with the key players and their market shares.
Commissioning of Smart Grid Projects to Create Demand for Microcontroller-Based Products
The global smart grid sector was a $35 billion industry in 2011, with revenues coming from different segments, such as Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), IT and communication, grid security, advanced transmission, and energy storage. AMI mainly includes smart meters and other networking infrastructure required to connect the grid with the customers. Microcontrollers (MCUs) form the core of these smart meters which are used for various purposes, such as gas, water, and electricity monitoring. The cumulative global market for smart grids during 2011-2015 is expected to be around $180 billion, with the investments in the market expected to double to $70 billion by 2015. This growth in smart grid investments is a major revenue source for MCUs. These investments are expected to follow the commissioning of new projects, mergers and acquisitions, alliances, private equity investments and so on, across key countries in America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
Medical Equipment Market to Open New Revenue Streams
MCUs are already being used in the medical electronics industry in the construction of products such as blood pressure monitors, handheld ultrasound systems, spirometers, pulse oximeters, heart rate monitors, and glucometers. Ageing populations in the US and the UK are dependent on government healthcare programs creating a demand for affordable, high quality healthcare solutions. This has given rise to the development of miniaturized medical equipment, which in turn will result in increased MCU sales. Healthcare expenses have also come down for the government, as remote patient monitoring and health checkups are possible due to these product developments.
Growth in Smart Card Shipments to Drive Microcontroller Market
MCU-based smart card devices achieved shipments of around 5.9 billion units in 2011, which showed a 7% increase in shipments over 2010. The major drivers for this sector are the telecom, banking, retail, government ID, and healthcare segments. Contactless smart cards that use Near Field Communication (NFC) are expected to be the next prominent driver for the market, with contactless payments through mobile phones and keyless security being the main applications. The telecom sector accounts for around 75% of the overall shipments in 2011, and a continuing growth is expected in markets such as India, China, Indonesia and Brazil.
Decline in Prices to Affect Profitability
A general decline in prices of MCU units is expected to develop throughout the coming years. As the MCU market is a volume intensive business, this decline in prices can affect the profitability of companies producing MCUs. Out of the three MCU types, 32-bit MCUs are facing huge competition with more than 10 players in the market. This is reflected in the drop in the Average Selling Price (ASP) from $3.25 in 2010 to around $3.10 in 2011. The ASP is expected to reach $2.90 in 2012, and decrease further to around $2.70 in 2015. The graph below shows the ASP of 32-bit MCUs in 2008, and the expected ASP in 2015.
Microcontrollers to Incorporate Safety Features for Better Time to Market Capabilities
International standards, such as IEC 61508 and the newly launched ISO 26262 automotive standard, ensure that the design and manufacture of MCUs meet stringent functional safety requirements. This is essential, as MCUs are used in a variety of devices and fields which are prone to accidents and cause harm to human life. Any error on the design or manufacturing part of the MCU can cause serious complications to any industrial application. However, meeting such stringent standards is very difficult for engineers, as it involves in-depth end-to-end process analysis, component selections and design ratification. This checklist, coupled with critical development time conditions and cost constraints, can be challenging to the design engineers and the MCU industry alike. Nevertheless, these standards are to be incorporated when a product line is being developed initially. Once the safety checks and design system certifications are completed, the products have reduced software overheads, reliable system operations, and therefore have accelerated time to market capabilities.
Browse All Semiconductors Market Research Reports & Industry Analysis
Browse All GBI Research Reports & Industry Analysis
Browse All Smart Grid Market Research Reports
Related Reports on Smart Grid Market
Latest Reports By GBI Research
ResearchMoz is the one stop online destination to find and buy market research reports. We fulfill all your research needs spanning across industry verticals with our huge collection of market research reports. We provide our services to all sizes of organizations and across all industry verticals and markets. Our Research Coordinators have in-depth knowledge of reports as well as publishers and will assist you in making an informed decision by giving you unbiased and deep insights on which reports will satisfy your needs at the best price.
90 Sate Street, Suite 700
Albany, NY 12207
USA - Canada Toll Free: 866-997-4948
China Market Research