LONDON, October 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ --
QS Quacquarelli Symonds, global higher education analysts, have released the 2018 edition of the QS World University Rankings: Eastern Europe and Central Asia. Picture a triangle with its corners in Siberia, the Baltic and Turkey. It would cover nearly a fifth of the Earth's land area. That is the region we analyze in the QS World University Rankings: EECA.
The universities we rank in Eastern Europe and Central Asia are in 24 countries, some of which are established players in global higher education. Russia has 97 entries here, and Turkey 45. But this ranking also points up institutions and nations which do not show up well in world rankings, often because their good work is not visible on the world stage.
QS World University Rankings 2018: Eastern Europe and Central Asia (Top 10) 2018 2017 Institution Name Country/ Territory 1 1 LOMONOSOV MOSCOW STATE UNIVERSITY RU 2 2 NOVOSIBIRSK STATE UNIVERSITY RU 3 5 UNIVERSITY OF TARTU EE 4 3 SAINT-PETERSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY RU 5 4 CHARLES UNIVERSITY CZ 6 6 UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW PL 7 9 BOGAZIÇI ÜNIVERSITESI TR 8 7 CZECH TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY IN PRAGUE CZ 9 14 MIDDLE EAST TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY TR 10 11 AL-FARABI KAZAKH NATIONAL UNIVERSITY KZ © QS Quacquarelli Symonds 2004-2017 http://www.TopUniversities.com/ . All rights reserved.
Key Regional Highlights
- Russia has three of Eastern Europe's top five universities: Lomonosov Moscow State University (1st) is followed by Novosibirsk State University (2nd) and Saint-Petersburg State University (4th);
- Estonia's University of Tartu rises from 5th to 3rd;
- The Czech Republic's Charles University ranks 5th;
- Russia has 97 of the ranking's 300 universities. Turkey has 42, Kazakhstan and Poland have 22, the Czech Republic has 19, Ukraine 16, Hungary 11.
QS use a unique methodology to calculate this ranking. The methodology is designed to account for the unique challenges facing the region's universities, and features 9 indicators. These indicators are:
- Academic Reputation;
- Employer Reputation;
- Faculty/Student Ratio;
- Papers per Faculty;
- Citations per Paper;
- International Faculty Ratio;
- Staff with PhD;
- International Student Ratio;
- Web Impact.
A detailed methodology document can be found at http://www.TopUniversities.com .
The full rankings can be found at http://www.TopUniversities.com.
SOURCE QS Quacquarelli Symonds