-- Integrated Solution Will Automate and Accelerate Deployment of Network Security with Centralised Management across Physical and Virtual Domains
LONDON, Nov. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Palo Alto Networks® (NYSE: PANW) and VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW) today announced a partnership backed by a new jointly-developed solution. The integrated solution will enable customers to use the VMware NSX™ network virtualisation platform to automate provisioning and distribution of Palo Alto Networks next-generation network security in their software-defined data centres.
Security provisioning and change management is an operational challenge for today's dynamic cloud data centre environments. Network security configuration and policy assignment can be slow, rigid and lag behind the pace and ease of application provisioning. At the same time, a next-generation security platform – where security policies are tied to applications, users and data – is a growing requirement for an effective cybersecurity strategy.
Recognising these changing requirements, Palo Alto Networks and VMware have partnered to deliver an integrated solution that combines the Palo Alto Networks VM-Series virtualised next-generation security platform with the VMware NSX network virtualisation platform. With this joint solution, customers will be able to unify next-generation network security across their physical and virtual environments with a single point of management.
"The cloud introduces new security challenges, and legacy security systems based on physical attributes such as port and protocol just aren't adequate to secure these highly dynamic environments," said Jon Oltsik, senior principal analyst at the Enterprise Strategy Group. "A next-generation security approach that eases operational challenges through integration with network virtualisation is a requirement for customers to confidently extend their deployments to cloud."
Next-Generation Network Security for the Software-Defined Data Centre
The combined solution will enable customers to use the network services insertion capabilities of VMware NSX with Palo Alto Networks' next-generation security technologies to easily deploy, move, scale and protect applications in their software-defined data centres. Customers will realise more agility and efficiency through centralised policy management and implementation.
This integrated solution is now in beta with general availability planned in the first half of 2014. The offering will help accelerate the delivery of next-generation security services to support virtual application deployments, speeding what has traditionally been a manual and time-consuming process that can delay virtual application deployments as much as two months for some enterprises. These delays can be eliminated, and enterprises will be able to realise the full agility, efficiency and cost benefits of a software-defined data centre while protected by next-generation security policies.
Additional functionality that this integrated solution will deliver for customers includes:
- Automated provisioning of advanced network services
- A consistent network security model that protects against cyber threats – known and unknown – across both physical and virtual workloads
- Native segmentation of virtual machines into virtual networks
- Transparent traffic steering and enforcement at the virtual interface
- Fine-grained visibility into applications, users and content associated with virtual machine context
- Context-sharing across virtual infrastructure and security management platforms
- Separation of duties between server, network and security IT administrators
- "VMware has ushered cloud computing into mainstream IT environments and one by one, tackled barriers to broad adoption so customers can achieve the promise of network agility, flexibility and speed. Our partnership with VMware, which brings together two best-of-breed platforms, represents one giant step toward eliminating security concerns for customers so they can safely enable business applications, securing their networks from cyber threats, and accelerating their cloud deployments."
- Lee Klarich, Senior Vice President of Product Management at Palo Alto Networks
- "We developed VMware NSX™ with an understanding that customers will want to continue to leverage previous IT investments with their strategic technology partners. For next-generation network security, Palo Alto Networks is a leading partner, delivering innovative solutions for security in the software-defined data centre. Palo Alto Networks and VMware customers will be able to use the distributed service framework of VMware NSX for fast and easy insertion of Palo Alto Networks security services, and achieve unified protection across their physical and virtual environments."
- Hatem Naguib, Vice President, Networking and Security, VMware
For more information on the integration, visit:
- Read VMware's blog post about network virtualisation and network security
- Read Palo Alto Networks blog and related information
About Palo Alto Networks
Palo Alto Networks is leading a new era in cybersecurity by protecting thousands of enterprise, government, and service provider networks from cyber threats. Unlike fragmented legacy products, our next-generation security platform safely enables business operations and delivers protection based on what matters most in today's dynamic computing environments: applications, users, and content. Find out more at www.paloaltonetworks.com.
VMware (NYSE: VMW) is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2012 revenues of $4.61 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 55,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
Palo Alto Networks, "The Network Security Company," and the Palo Alto Networks Logo are trademarks of Palo Alto Networks, Inc. in the United States and in jurisdictions throughout the world. All other trademarks, trade names or service marks used or mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.
VMware and VMware NSX are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
The partnership between VMware and Palo Alto Networks referenced in this press release is a business and marketing partnership, and should in no way be construed as the creation between the parties of a legal entity, partnership or joint venture.
SOURCE Palo Alto Networks