- Ultra-broadband fixed access technology will transform Wind's network in Bologna and Turin, Italy
ESPOO, Finland, April 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Wind will deploy Nokia's ultra-broadband fixed access technology in Italy for the roll-out of fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) services in the cities of Bologna and Turin, going beyond 100 megabits per second (Mbps) to meet the surging demand for high speed Internet access.
Thanks to Nokia's advanced technology, Wind will benefit from a high speed, high quality and resilient fiber network, matching the needs of residents and businesses for ultra-broadband services such as HD video streaming, 4K TV, real-time gaming and triple play.
Specifically, Nokia will deploy a mix of ultra-broadband access technologies, including GPON.
Click to Tweet: @WindItalia and @nokianetworks bring ultra-broadband access to cities of Bologna and Turin with FTTH rollout #UltraBroadband
Overview of the products and services delivered by Nokia Fixed Networks
- Nokia is delivering its fiber access platform, the 7360 Intelligent Service Access Manager (ISAM) FX, along with the 7368 ISAM ONT residential gateway with integrated Wi-Fi hot-spot technology to help Wind bring the benefits of GPON.
- Nokia is also deploying its 7302 Intelligent Services Access Manager (ISAM FD) access platform, enabling Wind to use a mix of fiber and advanced copper access technologies to extend coverage and deliver more than 100 Mbps to better serve its customers with new high-speed Internet services.
Roberto Bagnoli, global customer business head for the Vimpelcom Group at Nokia, said: "We are pleased to continue our long-term collaboration with Wind and support its fiber-to-the-home project. As a leading provider in Italy with more than 2.2 million broadband customers spread out across big cities and remote areas, Wind needs a flexible ultra-broadband solution that will help it quickly upgrade its network without impacting the high-quality user experience it is known for in the region. Leveraging our market-leading technology and solutions, we can address Wind's varied network deployment needs across geographies and deliver an unmatched level of expertise that is critical in helping it meet its subscribers' demands and future network goals."
Stefano Takacs, Network Director at Wind, added: "Wind is already delivering FTTH in Milan. By strengthening its network in Bologna and Turin, in collaboration with Nokia, it confirms its commitment to invest in the growth of ultra-broadband services in major Italian cities, providing its customers and cities with a highly reliable network than can offer the best TV and Internet services. "
Did you know?
- The ISAM FX will provide a high-speed FTTH solution, enabling Wind to evolve its network easily and cost-efficiently to NG-PON2 to deliver future 10 Gigabit Ethernet services as data demand grows.
- Supporting copper and fiber technologies, the Nokia ISAM family is the most widely deployed fixed access platform in the world.
Wind is the third mobile operator and the major alternative operator in the fixed telephony market in Italy, with 22 million mobile subscribers, 3 million fixed subscribers, and 2 million broadband subscribers as of December 31, 2015. For more info: www.windgroup.it
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://nokia.com