LONDON, Oct. 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), part of the World Health Organization, has announced new global breast cancer data, highlighting that much remains to be done to address what the IARC calls "the alarming rise in the cancer burden globally," with 18.1 million new cases of cancer reported and 9.6 million deaths in 2018.
IARC believes that prevention plays a key role in fighting cancer. Avon's Breast Cancer Promise aims to educate 100 million women globally on the risks and signs of breast cancer through educational initiatives such as its Pink Light Project.
Avon's Pink Light Project is more urgent than ever
Avon is passionate about using its global reach to further the wellbeing of women around the world. As part of its commitment to Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2018, Avon has unveiled its Pink Light Project, a global breast cancer educational campaign in partnership with Cancer Research UK.
Avon is mobilising its 6 million Representatives around the world, who together create a unique and powerful woman-to-woman communication network, to share educational information about breast cancer. Avon will launch the Pink Light Project through its Representatives and Avon's many communications platforms with the aim of educating women around the world to increase awareness and help save lives.
"At Avon, we believe no woman should die because she was left in the dark about breast cancer," says Jan Zijderveld, CEO of Avon. "We want every woman across the globe to know the risks, the signs, and what action to take when it comes to breast cancer. That way, if a woman does have symptoms, the cancer can be caught early and, if necessary addressed with treatment as quickly as possible."
Nick Grant, Executive Director at Cancer Research UK said, "Breast cancer affects over 2 million women each year, which is why we're excited to be working with Avon to help women across the globe understand the risks and signs of the disease. Ensuring women have understandable and empowering information is a powerful first step in helping tackle a disease which affects so many worldwide. Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women, but thousands of breast cancer deaths around the world could be prevented. Together Cancer Research UK and Avon can bring breast cancer out of the dark, putting the power back into women's hands."
Join Avon's Pink Light Project and together we will…
- Help every woman know the risks: so, no matter her age, she understands her risks of developing breast cancer and the positive changes she can make to manage that risk
- Help every woman know the signs: so, she knows what breast health means for her and can recognise the early signs of breast cancer
- Help every woman know how to take action: so, she can seek help and medical advice when it's needed
The New IARC 2018 Breast Cancer Statistics
- There are 2.1 million cases of breast cancer worldwide each year
- There are over 626,000 deaths from breast cancer worldwide each year
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide
- In women, breast cancer makes up nearly a quarter (24.2%) of cases each year, i.e. about one in 4 of all new cancer cases diagnosed in women worldwide are breast cancer
- In women breast cancer accounts for 15% of global cancer deaths
Avon is the Company that for 130 years has proudly stood for beauty, innovation, optimism and, above all, for women. Avon products include well-recognized and beloved brands such as ANEW, Avon Color, Avon Care, Skin-So-Soft, and Advance Techniques sold through approximately 6 million active independent Avon Sales Representatives. Learn more about Avon and its products at www.avoncompany.com
About Cancer Research UK
- Cancer Research UK is the world's leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research.
- Cancer Research UK's pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
- Cancer Research UK receives no funding from the UK government for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on vital donations from the public.
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival in the UK double in the last 40 years.
- Today, 2 in 4 people survive their cancer for at least 10 years. Cancer Research UK's ambition is to accelerate progress so that by 2034, 3 in 4 people will survive their cancer for at least 10 years.
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
SOURCE Avon Products, Inc.