NEW YORK, September 20, 2018 /PRNewswire/ --
New whitepaper provides an overview of the automotive IoT market and the IP landscape
Netscribes, Inc., global market intelligence and content services provider, today released its whitepaper Automotive IoT: Technology Market Insights. The whitepaper utilizes the company's in-house technology research expertise to provide an overview of the innovation occurring in the automotive IoT space and the key companies driving the shift towards connected and autonomous cars.
With connected cars expected to account for over 80 percent of on-road vehicles by 2040, investing in critical technological capabilities such as cloud computing, cybersecurity, machine learning, big data analytics, and mobile communications will be a vital requisite for competing in the new game. Netscribes' IP research suggests that automakers, OEMs, semiconductor companies, and electronics and telecom equipment manufacturers are competing neck-to-neck to acquire patents that leverage IoT, cloud computing, remote resource utilization and data streams necessary for connected and autonomous cars.
Some of the key takeaways from the whitepaper include:
- Ford leads in connected car patents: With over 200 patents in areas such as smart vehicles, wireless communication, and e-vehicle technologies, Ford takes the lead in connected car patents.
- Top nine companies hold most connected car patents: Of the total patents considered as relevant, about 43 percent were assigned to the top nine assignees - Ford, General Motors, Samsung, Qualcomm, LG, Toyota Motor, Intel, IBM, and Honda Motor. Among the rest of the 57 percent were patents owned by companies like Bosch, Google, Hyundai, Delphi/Aptiv, and Microsoft.
- Non-automakers most active connected car patentees: Patents by non-automakers are focused on crucial automotive IoT technologies that provide driver assistance, navigation, sensors, and wireless communication among others. Some of the most active tech companies include Samsung, LG, IBM, Google, Microsoft, Verizon Communications, Honeywell, and Ericsson, to name a few.
- Automakers and OEMs hold most patents: While non-automakers are the most active patentees, a majority of the patents are held by some of the top automakers and OEMs, including Ford and General Motors.
- Active areas of innovation: Netscribes' IP analysis suggests active innovation in the areas of smart vehicles, wireless communication, electric vehicles, data processing, and display devices.
Netscribes utilized its in-house primary and secondary research expertise to estimate the growth of the automotive IoT market and identify the emerging market trends, key market regions, and the ecosystem of the connected car industry. To understand the patent landscape, it conducted a basic patent search in the domain of connected cars and other related innovations on the Derwent Innovation database. This study considers the patents filed in the US in the last 10 years that fall within the connected/ autonomous/ self-driving/ driverless cars and related domains. For more detailed research and analysis of the automotive IoT market, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To know more about Netscribes' technology research solutions, visit: https://www.netscribes.com/solutions/market-intelligence/technology-research-insights/
Netscribes is a global market intelligence and content services provider that helps corporations achieve strategic objectives through a wide range of offerings. Our solutions rely on a unique combination of qualitative and quantitative primary research, secondary/desk research, social media analytics, and IP research. For more than 15 years, we have helped our clients across a range of industries, including technology, financial services, healthcare, retail, and CPG. Fortune 500 companies, as well as small- to mid-size firms, have benefited from our partnership with relevant market and competitive insights to drive higher growth, faster customer acquisition, and a sustainable edge in their business.
For more information, please contact: