LONDON, November 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
Car hire specialist eRentals.co.uk offers tips for safer winter driving
Last year's icy conditions and the early forecasts of snow for this winter, mean many motorists are already preparing their vehicles for the months ahead, but it's not just the car that needs to be prepared, drivers themselves can do more to aid safety says car hire specialist eRentals.co.uk.
The company says that with the treacherous winter conditions of the last two years, many people are getting worried about driving over the coming months.
To help, eRentals.co.uk has put together its top tips for safer winter driving, combining car preparation with some simple actions that can help build confidence.
eRentals.co.uk's top 10 tips for safer winter driving-
- Don't Rush - Make sure you leave in plenty of time for your journey so you're not rushing, and ensure you clear all windows - not just a small section - before setting off, it doesn't take that much longer.
- Clear Vision - Ensure your screen wash is topped up and check your wiper blades, damaged blades will have more difficulty clearing snow and dirt from the screen. Finally, check all of your lights are in working order to ensure nothing impairs your vision.
- Take it Steady - Stopping distances can be at least 10 times longer in ice and snow, so slow down and ensure you leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front.
- Check the Tyres - Make sure your tyres have the correct tread and consider changing to winter tyres as they enable a better grip in cold wet conditions. A minimum tread depth of at least 3mm is advised for winter driving.
- Plan Your Route - It may sound simple, but by taking the time to plan the best route, drivers can avoid getting lost and keep to gritted main roads, rather than those that are not gritted.
- Put on the Brakes - Good brakes are essential in winter, so the pads, discs and brake fluid need to be checked to ensure they work well.
- Check the weather conditions - Before you set off on any journey, but particularly a long journey, check the weather forecast and the conditions for your route. If it's bad stay at home - it's not worth the risk, no matter how important you think your journey is.
- Navigation - If you are making a long journey ensure you programme the Sat Nav before setting off to limit any distractions while behind the wheel. Too many drivers can be seen using their sat nav while driving, and in winter it just adds to the danger.
- Emergency Essentials - Make sure you put together an emergency kit and leave it in the car including blankets, warm clothing, food such as chocolate and nuts, a drink, spade, torch, first aid kit and de-icer.
- Phone a friend - Always, always tell someone at your destination the route you're taking and what time you expect to get there. That way, if you get lost or stuck, someone will be able to arrange help.
eRentals.co.uk is a specialist car hire company, providing low cost car rental in over 12,000 locations around the World. Committed to finding its customers the best prices, eRentals.co.uk offers a quick and easy search of the latest offers, including car hire in Menorca and car hire at Alicante Airport, for an escape from the British winter.
For more information visit http://www.erentals.co.uk
eRentals.co.uk was launched in 2006 and is a specialist car hire company, providing low cost car rental in over 12,000 locations around the World, in all major countries and tourist destinations. Committed to finding its customers the best prices, eRentals.co.uk offers a quick and easy search of the latest offers. eRentals.co.uk is operated by Sublime Systems Ltd, a company that specialises in online businesses.