SEATTLE, Oct. 16, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Milliman, Inc., a premier global consulting and actuarial firm, is pleased to announce the winners of the firm's first annual Milliman Opportunity Scholarship award, which was created to assist students from ethnic groups and races that are under-represented in the fields of actuarial science, data science, computer science, economics, programming, mathematics, statistics, data analytics, or finance.
Chosen from a field of 221 applicants worldwide, the Opportunity Scholarship winners include twelve students from colleges and universities across the U.S., Ireland, and South Africa who have demonstrated academic excellence and plan to pursue a career in actuarial science or related fields.
"Diverse perspectives are a necessary component of a successful business, but diversity has not always been a strength of the professions that make up our workforce," said Milliman Chief Executive Officer Steve White. "Our hope in creating the Milliman Opportunity Scholarship is to encourage and assist students whose ethnicity or race is under-represented, and whose demonstrated academic excellence and passion for achievement holds much promise for our organization and the clients we serve."
A full list of Scholarship recipients follows:
- Juan Borrero, Mathematics at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana
- Maleesha Ebanks, Mathematics at West Virginia University
- Khethiwe Dlamini, Actuarial Science at the University of Free State in South Africa
- Jordan Howell, Actuarial Science at Kettering University in Michigan
- Biniam Lemma, Computer Science at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- Eros Mehia-Hernandez, Mathematics at the University of Nebraska-Omaha
- Sonia Moreno, Computer Science at Carleton College in Minnesota
- Leenton Paidamoyo Takura, Actuarial Science at North West University in South Africa
- Sarah Pena, Actuarial Science at the University of California, Los Angeles
- Aaron Puntriano, Actuarial Science at Illinois State University
- Mulisa Ramakuwela, Actuarial Science at the University of Cape Town in South Africa
- Ayomikun Vaughan, Actuarial Science at Queens University of Belfast
Milliman is among the world's largest providers of actuarial and related products and services. The firm has consulting practices in healthcare, property & casualty insurance, life insurance and financial services, and employee benefits. Founded in 1947, Milliman is an independent firm with offices in major cities around the globe. For further information, visit milliman.com.
SOURCE Milliman, Inc.