New Hardware Development Kit supports development of IoT devices for the smart home and office
HSINCHU, Taiwan, April 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- MediaTek today announced its MediaTek LinkIt™ Development Platform for RTOS and the platform's first hardware development kit (HDK). This platform is the first from MediaTek delivering a common tool chain and set of APIs for multiple chipsets, offering developers the ability to create a range of IoT devices using one common software development kit, the MediaTek LinkIt SDK v3.
The HDK, based on the MediaTek MT7687F Wi-Fi system-on-chip (SoC), supports developers looking to create advanced connected appliances, home and office automation devices, smart gadgets and other IoT innovations. Future HDKs will enable developers to target other IoT device segments with comprehensive wireless technology options, including Bluetooth and cellular connectivity.
"Professional developers continue to be catalysts for turning IoT ideas into actual products. MediaTek Labs is committed to delivering the best hardware and software development platforms, as well as technical and business matchmaking support, for these developers to quickly get to market," said Marc Naddell, Vice President of MediaTek Labs. "The MediaTek LinkIt™ Development Platform for RTOS opens the door for developers to build a full range of IoT devices that are power efficient with secure Wi-Fi connectivity and commercially viable."
Key features of the platform include:
- Based on the popular FreeRTOS with modules (source code available) for TCP/IP, SSL/TLS, HTTP (client and server), SNTP, DHCP daemon, MQTT, XML and JSON.
- Supports SoCs based on the ARM Cortex-M4 architecture, offering high performance, low power connectivity.
- Comprehensive support for peripheral interfaces; such as UART, I2C, SPI, I2S, PWM, IrDA and ADC.
- Chipset specific features support, such as Wi-Fi using the MT7687F.
- Development and debugging support in Keil μVision and with command-line tools.
The LinkIt 7687 HDK is developed by Silicon Application Corp. (SAC), using hardware board reference design from MediaTek. The HDK provides a low-cost, easy-to-use IoT development board for the design, prototyping, evaluation and implementation of commercial IoT projects. The board offers developers a range of essential features to ensure devices are market ready. Key features of the SoC and board include:
- MT7687F module on board. The same module is available for manufacture of final IoT products.
- Wi-Fi with integrated security engine (AES and 3DES/SHA).
- Embedded SRAM/ROM and 2MB serial flash.
- Battery (2xAA) and fixed power connection options.
- Support for essential pre-commercial testing from a debugging port, a U.FL connector and headers reserved for power consumption monitoring.
- Pinout compatible with Arduino Uno (Revision 3), with an eight-pin extension connector offering versatile peripheral connectivity, including UART, I2C, SPI, I2S, PWM, IrDA and auxiliary ADC.
The LinkIt™ 7687 HDK is available for purchase starting today at http://ec.wpgo2o.com/AdDetail/MediaTek/7687
Since 1997, MediaTek has been a pioneering fabless semiconductor company and a market leader in cutting-edge systems-on-chip (SoC) for mobile devices, wireless networking, HDTV, DVD and Blu-ray. Our tightly-integrated, innovative chip designs help manufacturers optimize supply chains, reduce the development time of new products, and extend a competitive edge in crowded markets. Through MediaTek Labs, the company is also building a developer hub that will support device creation, application development, and services for the Internet of Things era. By building technologies that help connect individuals to the world around them, MediaTek is enabling people to expand their horizons and more easily achieve their goals. We believe anyone can achieve something amazing. And, we believe they can do it every single day. We call this idea Everyday Genius and it drives everything we do. Visit mediatek.com for more information.
MediaTek Press Office:
Kevin Keating, MediaTek
10188 Telesis Ct #500, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Joey Lee, MediaTek
+886-3-567-0766 # 31602
No. 1, Dusing 1st Rd., Hsinchu Science Park, Hsinchu City 30078, Taiwan
SOURCE MediaTek Inc.