LONDON, October 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Tesco Bank has teamed up with celebrity vet and This Morning regular Dr Scott Miller to offer owners guidance on keeping their pets safe on November 5th. Bonfire Night is traditionally a difficult time of year for our furry friends, as the flash and bang of fireworks sends stress levels through the roof. But by adhering to some or all of these tips, you can ensure it will only be the fireworks working themselves into a frenzy on the night!
Dr Scott advises that pets are well exercised during the day and safely indoors before dark, while owners should avoid leaving animals alone on the big night itself. Drawing curtains blocks out light and dampens sound which can help keep your pet calm. Why not prepare for the event with special desensitising CDs which can help accustom pets to any loud and unpredictable noises? Additionally remember to let pets react in their own way, and be sure to stay relaxed yourself, as cats and dogs react to human cues.
Below are a few more fun tips to keep your pets safe and relaxed:
- Play dance music - the consistent beat will cover the bangs of the fireworks.
- Make a den - animals naturally hide when scared, and providing a safe and sheltered place can keep them calm.
- Distract dogs by playing a game together, and offer cats treats to ease their worry.
- Try a 'thunder shirt' for a soothing squeeze, or 'mutt muffs' to protect your dog's ears.
Dr Scott comments,
'We have noticed a clear spike in owners seeking advice before bonfire night, as well as in the incidence of stress-related injuries in the days after. Noise phobia in animals can worsen from year to year so it is especially important that pet owners do all they can to help support their animals through the bonfire night period. As the biggest insurer for cats and dogs in the UK Tesco Pet Insurance appreciates how much British families cherish their pets. Tesco Pet Insurance provides the requisite protection should anything happen to them and offer a choice of three different cover levels with up to £7,500 for vet fees.'
Tesco Pet Insurance Standard and Extra cover offers simple and affordable protection for your pets, with a 20% online discount for new customers in year one and an additional discount for Clubcard holders, a 24 hour vet helpline and a fixed excess, so you'll always know what you need to pay if you make a claim.
For more information on exclusions and excesses, visit tescobank.com.
Tesco Bank Pet Insurance is arranged, administered and underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. The vetfone service is provided by Vetsdirect Limited.
Notes to Editors:
About Tesco Bank
Tesco Bank is the UK's largest supermarket bank.
- Our customers hold 6.5 million accounts and policies with us.
- We opened for business in 1997 and since 2008 have been wholly owned by Tesco PLC.
- We now have over 3000 staff based in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle.
Our aim is to be the financial services provider of choice for Tesco customers by giving them good service, great value and by rewarding their loyalty for shopping at Tesco.
Tesco Bank offers a popular range of simple personal banking products, principally credit cards, personal loans, savings and general insurance, including car, home, pet and travel.
- We offer insurance for our customers' homes, cars, pets and for their holidays and always give discounts on insurance premiums for Tesco clubcard holders.
- We were voted 'Best Home Insurance Provider' 2012 in the Consumer Moneyfacts Awards, while our Finest Home Insurance has a 5 Star Defaqto rating.
- 1.5 million Brits have Tesco Car and Home insurance with us.
- Tesco Pet Insurance is the UK's number one choice for cat and dog
Last year we gave more than £100 million in Clubcard points to Tesco customers.
Tesco Bank products and services are available online at tescobank.com and by telephone from our UK-based service centres which, like our stores, are open 7 days a week.
Tesco Bank is a trading name of Tesco Personal Finance plc. Registered in Scotland No. 173199. Registered Address: Interpoint Building, 22 Haymarket Yards, Edinburgh, EH12 5BH.
For media enquiries please contact:
Jo Sim, Tesco Bank, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44(0)131-479-1346.
Sarah Rowley or Jordan Bickerton, Fishburn Hedges, email@example.com, +44(0)20-7839-4321.
SOURCE Tesco Bank