New mobile service reads text messages and email out loud whilst you drive
JOHANNESBURG, Dec. 14, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Did you know that South Africa has one of the highest road accident rates in the world, with 25% of those accidents caused by cell phone use whilst driving? Yet, as many as two-thirds of drivers continue to email and text on their cell phones whilst driving.* To combat this alarming statistic, messageLOUD was designed with a singular focus on consumer safety by automatically reading texts and email out loud so people can put their phones down and drive safe.
Drive Confidently and Connect Safely with messageLOUD
The messageLOUD app is available for download at the Google Play Store: free for the first 30 days, then only R19.99 a month or R199.99 a year. Available today on Android devices and coming next to iPhone and smart wearables, messageLOUD is simple to set up and easy to use.
Here's how it works:
- Simple, one-time sign-in with your email address (supports Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, Hotmail and Yahoo.)
- When you get in your car, tap the messageLOUD icon and set to DRIVEmode.
- Now all your texts and email will automatically be read out loud.
- Split-screen compatible for simultaneous use with other apps, like navigation or music.
- Bluetooth compatible.
- Customizable auto-responder for incoming texts.
- Customizable settings to best serve your needs: such as personalizing contacts to allow or ignore.
- Tailor which messages you want read out loud.
An Epidemic: South Africans who email, text whilst driving are 4x more likely to be in an accident
- Up to 90% of road accidents in South Africa are due to careless behavior. **
- Data shows that a single instance of mobile phone usage represents an average of 52 seconds of distracted driving. At 60km/h, this is equivalent to driving "blind" for one kilometer, and makes the driver four times more likely to have an accident. ***
Even New Smart Car Platforms Are Distracting and Dangerous to Drivers
According to new research by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, activities like dialing, changing music or sending a text using voice commands are potentially unsafe mental distractions that can impact driving. AAA's President and CEO Marshall Doney calls for developers to aim to reduce mental distractions by designing systems that are no more demanding than listening to the radio or an audiobook.
"Distracted driving has killed thousands, injures more than half a million people each year globally, and is responsible for billions of dollars in insurance claims. Our mission at messageLOUD is to eliminate accidents and deaths due to smartphone usage whilst driving," said Garin Toren, founder and CEO of messageLOUD. "We're working with local governments, non-profits, corporations and mobile phone carriers to orchestrate a tangible effort to deliver safer messaging whilst driving."
messageLOUD is a patent pending messaging service that automatically reads your texts and email out loud, allowing you to drive, work and play, safely and productively. Our mission is to eliminate distracted driving with an eyes-free experience that enables you to automatically hear your messages out loud, to easily delete or dismiss messages, or call the sender back –– all without having to look at your phone.
For more information about messageLOUD, partnership opportunities and customer support, visit http://www.messageLOUD.com.
* International Transport Forum's 2013 Road Safety Annual Report
** ITWeb – Tech still trumps road safety
*** BusinessTech – Shocking number of SA accidents caused by mobile phone use