ANDOVER, England, May 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- New findings from Simplyhealth's Annual Dental Survey 2011 show that access to NHS dentistry has improved at the expense of quality. More than half (54%) of the UK population has experienced change in dental services in the past four years. A reduction in quality of treatment and lower levels of NHS cover are cited as the main reasons.
The Simplyhealth study of 10,000 UK respondents shows that although fewer people are now struggling to find an NHS dentist (from 39% to 29%), 18% say the NHS doesn't cover as much as it used to. 17% feel they don't receive the same level of treatment and 20% say they're not asked to see their dentist as regularly.
Yet, although people are finding it easier to find an NHS dentist, cost is still the major factor that's preventing many from attending their appointments. 40% say they've put off going to the dentist because they can't afford it.
James Glover from Simplyhealth says: "Individuals and families are now able to see a dentist much more easily, which is great. However, it's worrying that cost is forcing so many people to delay seeing their dentists, especially as NHS dental charges increased at the beginning of April. Our Simply Dental Plan which starts from just GBP7.50 a month is designed to help manage the costs of routine visits to the dentist, and also provides insurance for the emergency treatments."
More people now believe that private dentistry offers a better service, up from 30% to 37%. This is put down to flexibility of appointments, improved treatment, and a belief that private dentists pay more attention to their concerns.
Practicing Dentist and Simplyhealth's Dental Advisor, Michael Thomas, says: "The perceived drop in the quality of treatment that patients receive is really unfortunate as the NHS is doing such a good job of increasing the number of people its dentists see. However, we're advised that the issue isn't being ignored and is included within the Government's ongoing reform plans."
Simplyhealth is currently running an exclusive 'two months free' offer* to all new customers who purchase a Simply Dental Plan online via http://www.simplyhealth.co.uk. For more information about Simplyhealth and the Simply Dental Plan, please visit the website or call 0800-072-6715.
*The two months free offer for new customers purchasing a Simply Dental Plan online ends 30 June 2011.
Notes to Editor:
- The Simplyhealth Annual Dental Survey 2011 as well as interviews with Michael Thomas, case studies and a spokesperson from Simplyhealth are available upon request
- The research for the Simplyhealth Annual Dental Survey 2011 was carried out online by One Poll between 8 March 2011 - 14 March 2011 amongst a panel resulting in 10,000 worker respondents. All research conducted adheres to the MRS Codes of Conduct (2010) in the UK and ICC/ESOMAR World Research Guidelines.
- We became Simplyhealth in 2009 after bringing together HSA, BCWA, LHF, HealthSure and Totally Active
- Simplyhealth is a trading name of Simplyhealth Access, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
- We have 1.2 million customers providing cover for some 2 million lives
- Simplyhealth is committed to making a positive impact on its communities. Last year, we donated GBP1.6 million to health related charities
Lynsey Thorp, Public Relations Executive, +44(0)844-579-2266
Caroline Lakeman, Public Relations Manager, +44(0)844-579-2274 / +44(0)7795-294447 Or firstname.lastname@example.org