Release Includes New Features Delivered and Enhanced by GENIVI Community
SAN RAMON, California, Oct. 18, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The GENIVI Alliance, a non-profit alliance focused on developing an open in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) and connectivity software platform for the transportation industry, today announced the release of its enhanced GENIVI Development Platform (GDP), the GDP 11 Release Candidate 3 (RC3). A release candidate is a version of the GDP that is available for broad adoption and testing to prove stability just prior to a full release.
The new GDP 11 RC3, demonstrated this week at the GENIVI All Member Meeting in Burlingame, Calif., will serve as an essential tool allowing a broad base of developers to participate in open source software development that produces innovative and near product ready code; and provide an "automotive context" to assist with testing, prototyping, enhancing and deploying IVI and connected car software.
The new platform will:
- Enrich the user experience with a GENIVI-branded GUI and configurable application launcher.
- Include an improved Software Development Environment (including SDK).
- Align with version 11 of the GENIVI Baseline and the GENIVI Platform Compliance Specification also announced at the event.
- Increase vehicle connectivity with Remote Vehicle Interaction Core and SOTA Client software.
The theme of the All Member Meeting is "Empowering a Connected Car Community" and will feature leading industry experts converging to discuss: connected vehicles in the context of smart cities, smart infrastructure and smart transportation; connecting vehicles to the cloud and the huge potential of big data; and tech startup companies and the innovation they can bring to the automotive industry.
The GDP 11 RC3 platform release is only the latest initiative that GENIVI has announced over the past several months. Earlier, the Alliance unveiled a:
- Challenge Grant Program designed to accelerate delivery of targeted features to enhance the GENIVI Development Platform. The program is open to members and non-member organizations and individuals wishing to develop open source software to advance the Alliance's GDP.
- New Open Source Vehicle Simulator Project with both developer and end-user code available immediately. The project provides an open source, extensible driving simulator that assists adopters to safely develop and test the user interface of an IVI system under simulated driving conditions.
- Collaborative Agreement with Techstars Mobility of Detroit to strengthen the relationship between startup companies focusing on the future of mobility and connected car solutions and the automotive industry.
About GENIVI Alliance
The GENIVI Alliance is a non-profit alliance focused on developing an open in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) and connectivity platform for the transportation industry. The alliance provides its members with a global networking community of more than 140 companies, joining connected car stakeholders with world-class developers in a collaborative environment, resulting in free, open source middleware. GENIVI is headquartered in San Ramon Calif.
Media Contact - GENIVI Alliance:
SOURCE GENIVI Alliance