CHESTER, England, May 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Basic rate taxpayers need a rate of 3.75 per cent to gain benefit in real terms, increasing to five per cent for higher rate taxpayers
- Basic rate tax payers can now beat inflation with 31 fixed rate bonds and 15 cash ISAs
Today's announcement by The Bank of England that inflation has fallen to 3.0 per cent, from 3.5 per cent in April, is a welcome boost for UK savers as 46 saving accounts now beat inflation, according to MoneySupermarket.com.
To beat inflation, basic rate tax payers now need an account paying at least 3.75 per cent to gain benefit in real terms from their savings, increasing to five per cent for higher rate tax payers, and six per cent for 50 per cent tax payers.
For basic rate tax payers there are 31 fixed rate bonds and 15 cash ISAs that will beat inflation. Higher rate tax payers will still struggle to beat inflation, with just one account beating inflation; the Nottingham BS Starter ISA Issue 2 at 5.02 per cent which is fixed until 05.04.2013.
Kevin Mountford, head of banking, at MoneySupermarket.com, said: "The fall in inflation is great news for hard pressed savers, particularly after the increase we saw in April, and this should really help encourage people to start saving again.
"High inflation combined with low interest rates has made it a tough environment for UK savers who have found it very difficult to gain any real returns on their savings pots. With this dramatic fall in inflation, there is a welcome boost in the number of savings accounts which now beat inflation, and consumers need to make sure they are on the best deals possible to maximise their returns.
"Households should also ensure they regularly review all their finances and find ways to maximise their income. Consumers need to make sure they are not paying over the odds for expenses such as energy, household bills and insurance. Using MoneySupermarket to switch to the best deals can save over £1,000 and free up additional cash to help offset the pressures of the cost of living."
MoneySupermarket.com's customer commitment
- No other site compares more prices or products
- We are independent so only find the best deals for you
- The price you see is the price you pay - you don't need to go direct and you won't get a better deal doing so
- Your details are safe with us and we won't sell them to anybody
MoneySupermarket.com compares (at 29th March 2012)
- 98 car insurance providers and 81home insurance providers
- 11 broadband providers and 18 energy providers
- 31 unsecured loan and 5 secured loan providers
- 62 mortgage lenders and 28 credit card providers
- 67 savings providers and 37 current account providers.
- Over 1,750,000 mobile phone deals
We promise to be clear and impartial
- All the products in our full search results tables are displayed in a completely unbiased manner.
- We don't add fees or commissions on to the prices we compare.
- There may be times when another site compares more companies than us on a particular product, perhaps because of market changes or technical issues. You'll be able to see this and know we are working hard to fix it.
We promise to be trustworthy
- We never use your data to make unwanted sales calls or send you spam.
- We never pass your personal information to third parties unless you give us permission to do so.
- Even if you choose to receive additional information from us, you can opt out at any time.
- We promise to be supportive.
- You can use our community forum to get information and-help from other customers.
If you need further help or support, you can contact our sales advisors or customer services agents.