LONDON, September 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
10,000 Volunteers Needed Across 30 Countries for Largest Study of its Kind
- Visit http://www.samknows.eu to register for free testing equipment
The European Commission, in collaboration with broadband performance testing specialist SamKnows, has launched a pan-European project to map the broadband performance of all EU Member States and three other nations, as part of a drive to help ISPs, regulators and consumers improve internet services across the continent.
SamKnows has already conducted similar, successful projects with the United Kingdom's Ofcom and the United States' Federal Communications Commission, and is now seeking 10,000 volunteers from across Europe to become involved in the largest broadband performance test of its kind.
Volunteers will be sent a small device (the 'Whitebox') to plug into their home internet connection. When the broadband line is not in use, the Whitebox will run a series of automated tests to measure the speed and performance of the connection. This will build a pan-European picture of broadband provision to enable planning for the future, and offer transparency for consumers paying for broadband connectivity.
In addition to helping the European Commission with this major study of Europe-wide broadband provision, individual volunteers will benefit by receiving detailed real-time data about the performance of their own connection, including speed and reliability.
To take part, consumers should visit http://www.samknows.eu, to apply for a free Whitebox from SamKnows.
Alex Salter, CEO, SamKnows, said: "We are working to provide ISPs, regulators and, most importantly, consumers with the information they need to push for improved broadband services.
The people who volunteer to take part will not only get access to our technology for free, but will be champions for better broadband across Europe as they help us to develop a picture of connectivity across Europe."
Founded in 2003 by software developer Sam Crawford, SamKnows was established as a consumer information website to promote faster broadband. In 2008 Sam developed an innovative broadband measurement technology, which SamKnows has provided free of charge to consumers in the UK and USA ever since. In the UK alone, SamKnows found that broadband performance was less than 50% of advertised speeds.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Technical information about the tests can be found at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/methodology
1. The Member States SamKnows is recruiting volunteers in are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK, with additional volunteers sought in Croatia, Iceland and Norway
2. SamKnows has received over 250,000 volunteer applications across the US and UK for its projects with the FCC and Ofcom. More details can be found at: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/about
3. Subject to terms and conditions
4. The SamKnows device ("Whitebox") runs synthetic tests over the volunteer's broadband connection, simulating common internet applications and protocols. It does not monitor the volunteer's activity on the internet or record any personally identifiable information.