PHILADELPHIA, September 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Elsevier congratulates its medical authors and editors for the industry recognition and for consistently producing high-quality medical content
Elsevier, a world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services, announced today that 28 of its professional and scholarly products were honored at the British Medical Association's annual BMA Medical Book Awards ceremony at BMA House in London on Sept. 22, 2014. This year publishers submitted more than 600 products, and the BMA awarded 21 first prizes and numerous highly commended prizes.
Elsevier won both the Best Illustrated Book Award and Best Student Textbook Award.
The BMA Student Textbook Award went to Underwood's Pathology, 8th Edition, and Dr. Simon Cross, editor of the latest edition, said he was delighted at the recognition of the book's success. A BMA reviewer described it as "the leading textbook of undergraduate pathology." Dr. Cross paid tribute to the book's founding editor Sir James Underwood, who, on hearing of the award, later emailed, "I am, of course, absolutely delighted with the book's continuing success. A credit to all involved in the new edition." Laurence Hunter, Executive Content Strategist for Elsevier, worked on the first edition of this textbook and said the award was a recognition of the high standards of not just this book but of many of the Elsevier student textbooks that are used by UK medical students.
Dr. Meir H. Kryger, editor of Atlas of Sleep Medicine and a Yale School of Medicine professor, attended the awards ceremony and said, "What a great experience, just being here is winning." Also in attendance from the USA was Dr. Robert Hockberger, a UCLA professor of clinical medicine and one of the editors of Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice, 8th edition.
"Smith's Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation was conceived by Dr. David W. Smith, the author of the first three editions, and continues as a book to be propped up at the bedside allowing the examining physician to compare the illustrations in the book to the child being examined," said Dr. Kenneth Lyons Jones, co-editor of that book. "It is a tremendous honor to receive this highly prestigious award. David Smith, who died in 1981 at 54 years of age, would have been incredibly proud."
Elsevier received First prizes in the following categories:
- The BMA Student Textbook Award - Cross: Underwood's Pathology, 8th edition
- The BMA Illustrated Book Award - Jones, Jones and Del Campo: Smith's Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation, 7th Edition
- Anaesthesia - Aitkenhead, Moppett and Thompson: Smith and Aitkenhead's Textbook of Anaesthesia, 6th edition
- Cardiology - Otto and Bonow: Valvular Heart Disease: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease, 4th edition
- Medicine - Kumar and Clark: Kumar & Clark's Cases in Clinical Medicine, 3rd edition
- Neurology - Sweatt, Meaney, Nestler and Akbarian: Epigenetic Regulation in the Nervous System: Basic Mechanisms and Clinical Impact.
Elsevier received Highly Commended honors in the following categories:
- Anaesthesia - McMahon, Koltzenburg, Tracey and Turk: Wall & Melzack's Textbook of Pain, 6th edition
- Basic and Clinical Sciences - Nicholls and Ferguson: Bioenergetics, 4th Edition
- Basic and Clinical Sciences - Gaw, Murphy, Srivastava, Cowan and O'Reilly: Clinical Biochemistry: An Illustrated Colour Text, 5th edition
- Basic and Clinical Sciences - Trainor: Neural Crest Cells: Evolution, Development and Disease
- Cardiology - Zipes and Joliffe: Cardiac Electrophysiology: From Cell to Bedside, 6th edition
- Cardiology - Lasala and Rogers: Interventional Procedures for Adult Structural Heart Disease
- Cardiology - Brilakis: Manual of Coronary Chronic Total Occlusion Interventions: A Step-by-Step Approach
- Digital and online resources - Netter: Netter's Head and Neck Osteology from Netter's Video Modules
- Internal medicine - Kryger, Avidan and Barry: Atlas of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 2nd edition
- Internal medicine - Kitchens, Kessler and Konkle: Consultative Hemostasis and Thrombosis, 3rd edition
- Internal medicine - Howard and Hamilton: Haematology: An Illustrated Colour Text, 4th edition
- Internal medicine - Lebwohl, Heymann, Berth-Jones and Coulson: Treatment of Skin Disease, 4th edition
- Medicine - Douglas, Nicol and Robertson: Macleod's Clinical Examination, 13th edition
- Medicine - Waller, Sampson, Renwick and Hillier: Medical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 4th edition
- Medicine - Marx, Hockberger and Walls: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice, 8th edition
- Oncology - Kee, Murthy and Madoff: Clinical Interventional Oncology
- Paediatrics - Jones, Jones and Del Campo: Smith's Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation, 7th Edition
- Pathology: Nose, Paner, Greenson, Ko, and Morgan: Diagnostic Pathology: Familial Cancer Syndromes (Amirsys)
- Pathology - Dubowitz, Sewry and Oldfors: Muscle Biopsy: A Practical Approach, 4th edition
- Pathology - Cross: Underwood's Pathology, 8th edition
- Public health - Farrar, Hotez, Junghanss, Kang, Lalloo and White: Manson's Tropical Diseases, 23rd edition
- Radiology - Mauro, Murphy, Thomson, Venbrux and Morgan: Image-Guided Interventions, 2nd edition
- Surgery - Novell, Baker and Goddard: Kirk's General Surgical Operations, 6th edition
- Surgical specialties - Yanoff and Duker: Ophthalmology, 4th edition
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of information solutions that enhance the performance of science, health, and technology professionals, empowering them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress. Elsevier provides web-based, digital solutions - among them ScienceDirect, Scopus, Elsevier Research Intelligence and ClinicalKey - and publishes nearly 2,200 journals, including The Lancet and Cell, and over 25,000 book titles, including a number of iconic reference works.
The company is part of Reed Elsevier Group PLC, a world-leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk and Business sectors, which is jointly owned by Reed Elsevier PLC and Reed Elsevier NV. The ticker symbols are REN (Euronext Amsterdam), REL (London Stock Exchange), RUK and ENL (New York Stock Exchange).
Director, Corporate Relations