CHESTER, England, July 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- 11 easy access savings accounts now beat inflation
- Basic rate taxpayers need a rate of 3.00 per cent to gain benefit in real terms, increasing to 4.00 per cent for higher rate taxpayers
Today's announcement by the Bank of England that The Consumer Price Index (CPI) has fallen to 2.4 per cent from 2.8 per cent brings great news for savers. Eleven easy access saving accounts now beat inflation- the first time this savings vehicle has beaten the effects of inflation since November 2009. Consumers should check their savings rates to ensure they are maximising their returns according to MoneySupermarket.com.
To beat inflation, basic rate tax payers will need an account paying at least 3.00 per cent to gain benefit in real terms from their savings, increasing to 4.00 per cent for higher rate tax payers, and 4.80 per cent for 50 per cent tax payers.
For basic rate tax payers there are now eleven easy access accounts, eight cash ISAs, 192 fixed rate bonds and 76 fixed rate ISAs that beat the eroding effect of inflation. For higher rate tax payers still no easy access accounts beat inflation and only eleven fixed rate bonds and seven fixed rate ISAs beat inflation.
Kevin Mountford, head of banking, at MoneySupermarket.com, said: "Today's news that inflation has fallen even closer to the Bank of England's target of 2.00 per cent is welcome news for savers who can easily find inflation beating products and it's great that after three years, eleven easy access accounts can once again help savers to do so. It is therefore vitally important savers check their rates and be prepared to switch if they are not on the most competitive deal. The difference between the average and top paying rates can be significant so moving to a better deal can go a long way to help savers limit the impact on their pots."
Notes to Editors
MoneySupermarket.com compares (at 20th June 2012)
- 100 car insurance providers and 81 home insurance providers
- 12 broadband providers and 18 energy providers
- 32 unsecured loan and 6 secured loan providers
- 58 mortgage lenders and 28 credit card providers
- 67 savings providers and 37 current account providers.
- Over 1,700,000 mobile phone deals
We help our customers to save money on all of their household bills by providing a free, easy to use online service so they can compare a wide range of products in one place and find the product most suited to their needs. Our size means we are able to offer our customers exclusive, market-leading deals, including some they can't even get direct from providers.
By having considerable volumes of informed customers actively looking for products and ready to purchase, we offer our providers an efficient and cost effective customer acquisition solution across all of our channels. This enables our providers to target their marketing spend in an effective and completely measurable way.
Our revenue comes predominantly from fees paid to us by product providers when a customer clicks through to their website and actually applies for or purchases a product. It is a success based marketing fee.
Our customer commitment
- We make it easy to find the brands you expect to see
- We strive to ensure a product cannot be found cheaper by going direct
- We let you remain in control of your personal data
- We are independent and impartial
- We make it easy to switch and save
- We strive to always show the most competitive product available
For further information please contact:
PR Manager Financial Services