-- Strategy Analytics Survey Shows 60 Percent of Mobile Users Interested in Customizable Plans
BOSTON, July 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Mobile phone users are ready for new options in data pricing and on-device solutions that provide them with more ability to control and personalize their mobile service, according to Strategy Analytics. Survey research from the Wireless Operator Strategies service, "Consumers Interested in New Mobile Data Plan Options", reveals 60 percent of mobile phone owners want to be able to customize their plans, and 50 percent are interested in the ability to directly purchase more data in real-time from their device.
Strategy Analytics surveyed over 500 mobile phone users in each of six mobile markets (China, France, Germany, Spain, the UK and the USA).
Key findings include:
- 60% of mobile phone users are interested in customization of their service plan, with particularly high interest in China (74%), the US (67%) and the UK (58%).
- 50% express interest in a real-time, on-device option to monitor data use and purchase more data.
- In China, interest in plan option for unlimited social network access is high, at 62%.
- In France, more than 2x users are more willing to accept continued use at lower speeds when they reach their data limit than those who are prepared to buy additional data.
- In Germany, over a quarter of mobile phone users see appeal of buying an additional bucket of data beyond their original data cap.
- In Spain, mobile users are much more willing to accept continued use at lower speeds when they reach their data limit, with over half selecting throttling, and only a fifth prepared to buy additional data bucket. 45% express an interest on plans based on selecting how many minutes of browsing, video and music they have rather than a bucket of MB or GB.
Susan Welsh de Grimaldo, Director, Wireless Operator Strategies, said: "Mobile operators are focused on monetizing their data traffic, and developing new pricing options based on a better understanding of consumer interests and segments is an essential element for driving new revenues."
Phil Kendall, Executive Director, Wireless Operator Strategies, said: "Our results show that the self-service dashboard, where users can check their data usage in real-time, is the best channel to upsell additional data bundles. It is a subtler way to get users on board as they look to balance data needs against avoiding excessive overage charges."
About Strategy Analytics
Strategy Analytics, Inc. provides the competitive edge with advisory services, consulting and actionable market intelligence for emerging technology, mobile and wireless, digital consumer and automotive electronics companies. With offices in North America, Europe and Asia, Strategy Analytics delivers insights for enterprise success. www.StrategyAnalytics.com
US Contact: Susan Welsh de Grimaldo, +1-617-614-0724, email@example.com
European Contact: Phil Kendall, +44-1908-423620, firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Strategy Analytics