ST HELIER, Jersey, March 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
European private equity firm, Cinven, today announces the completion of its acquisition of CPA Global, the leading global provider of intellectual property (IP) management services and software.
The acquisition of CPA Global, headquartered in Jersey, Channel Islands, has received the required regulatory clearances and the approval of the Jersey courts, which sanctioned a new Scheme of Arrangement.
Cinven acquired CPA Global from its previous shareholders, including Intermediate Capital Group (ICG) and the founder shareholders (a number of patent attorneys in the UK and Australia) for an undisclosed consideration.
CPA Global, through its offices worldwide, supports many of the world's best known corporations and law firms with a range of IP management services and software solutions. Clients include large corporates in sectors such as chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and telecoms with significant patent portfolios arising from research and development activities. CPA Global is also a leading player in the emerging legal services outsourcing (LSO) sector.
The acquisition is in line with Cinven's strategy of investing in world-class European companies where it can accelerate their growth globally using Cinven's sector expertise and Asian portfolio capability.
The global patent renewal market has shown considerable growth as corporations are increasing R&D spend with higher volumes of patent applications and demand for renewals. The Asian market has experienced a significant increase, which is expected to continue, particularly in China and Korea. Cinven's Asian portfolio team is ideally positioned to help deliver growth in this region.
About CPA Global
CPA Global is the world's top intellectual property (IP) management and IP software specialist, and a leading provider of legal services outsourcing (LSO).
CPA Global assists its clients in managing their IP portfolios, including patents, designs and trademarks, ensuring that their IP Rights are protected, maintained and regularly reviewed in order to maximise value. Services include search, filing and renewals for patents and trademarks; trademark watching; portfolio valuation and optimisation; as well as IP management software. CPA Global is also a leading player in the emerging legal services outsourcing (LSO) sector, providing high quality and cost-efficient legal support services such as document review, transaction support, contract solutions, and legal research through delivery centres in the US and India.
CPA Global was founded in 1969 in Jersey, Channel Islands, originally to manage patent renewals on behalf of numerous firms of patent attorneys. Today, the Company employs 1,500 people, with offices across Europe, the United States, and Asia Pacific, serving clients' broader IP management and legal support services needs in over 100 countries, and helping them to manage risk, cost and capacity, and realise greater value for their businesses. For more information, please visit: http://www.cpaglobal.com
- Cinven is a leading European buyout firm focused on building world-class European companies.
- Established in 1977, the firm invests in six key sectors: Business Services, Financial Services, Industrials, Consumer, and Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT).
- Cinven has dedicated TMT and Business Services teams which have invested a total of €20 billion and €7 billion respectively over the course of Cinven's history.
- Cinven's recent investments across all sectors include Guardian, SLV, EnServe, Avolon and Sebia.
- In Business Services and TMT, Cinven has exited its highly successful investment in Amadeus, which generated a 7x return for investors. Amadeus has a number of important similarities with CPA Global: both are software-led sales which serve critical needs, both were previously owned by their customers, and both have global reach. In the TMT sector, Cinven has also recently partially exited its investment in Ziggo, the leading Dutch cable business, following its highly successful IPO on the NYSE Euronext Amsterdam Stock Exchange.
- Cinven has offices in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Milan, Hong Kong and Guernsey. Cinven Limited is authorised and regulated by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. Cinven Partners LLP is authorised and regulated by the FSA.
- Cinven acquires successful high quality companies. Using proven value creation strategies, we work closely with these companies, helping them to grow and develop. Cinven takes a responsible approach towards its portfolio companies, their employees, suppliers, local communities, the environment and society.
Cinven Partners LLP (advisor to Cinven Limited)
SOURCE Cinven and CPA Global