LONDON, November 10, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
A Quarter of Brits Will Increase their Holiday Spend in 2012*
TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel website*, today reveals the results of its 2012 Travel Trends Survey - now in its fifth year. While the troubled economy is the most significant concern for Britons planning their 2012 holidays, travel budgets look set to remain healthy and tourism generally will be buoyant with two thirds (66%) of Brits planning to take between two and four leisure trips in 2012.
"This year's results demonstrate that while financial concerns are clearly front of mind, resilient Brits are not prepared to sacrifice their 2012 holidays," commented Emma Shaw, TripAdvisor spokesperson. "Brits are considering their holiday budgets carefully but crucially we still intend to spend on leisure travel, with the vast majority planning on spending at least the same as last year."
Healthy budgets despite worry
Despite concerns over the state of the economy, Brits are refusing to sacrifice their 2012 holidays and are spending accordingly, even if that means booking on credit.
- A quarter (25%) of Brits plan to spend more in 2012 on travel than they did in 2011. Only 16% plan to spend less, while 59% intend to spend about the same
- Brits will do what it takes to have their holidays - one-third (32%) of respondents admit they won't pay for their 2012 holiday up front, with one-fifth (21%) taking over two months to pay their holiday bill
- The most common 2012 holiday budget for Brits is between £2K and £4K, which is the expected spend for 29% of Brits in the coming year
- An extravagant 17% of Brits are clearly unconcerned about the economic situation as they plan to spend £8K or more on leisure travel in 2012
Economic anxiety overtakes volcanic concerns
Concern over the state of the economy is the biggest worry for Brits in their 2012 travel planning, replacing last year's top concern of volcanic ash.
- One-third (33%) said the economy is their biggest concern in travel planning, while despite trouble in Europe, only 27% of Europeans feel the same way
- The following factors, in order, are most likely to affect travel planning for Brits in 2012:
- The current economic climate
- Potential strikes/industrial action
- Air Passenger Duty (APD) tax
- Travel firms collapsing
- Over one-third of Brits (36%) are now more likely to buy holiday insurance as a result of uncertainty in the industry last year
Olympics Has Little Impact on Travel Plans
With beautiful beaches, historic cities and stunning countryside on their doorstep, Brits are this year planning to take advantage of what's within their borders:
- 40% of Brits intend to take a 'Staycation' in 2012, taking time off but holidaying at home. This is roughly the same as last year (38%)
- Over three-quarters (76%) of Brits are planning at least one domestic holiday for 2012 with nearly half (47%) planning to take two or more
- The Olympics have, so far, failed to have a major impact on British travel plans:
- Two-thirds (67%) of respondents said it will not factor into their travel 2012 plans
- However 12% will purposefully not travel during the Olympics so they can stay at home and watch
- A hopeful 10% intend to take advantage of possible bargain travel deals outside of the UK during the Olympics
Foreign Travel Forecast
The TripAdvisor Travel Trends Survey revealed short-haul travel is expected to outpace long-haul travel by a larger margin in 2012 than it did in 2011 as British travellers admit they'll look to economically hard-hit Eurozone countries - Greece, Portugal, Ireland and Spain, for example - for good deals:
- 88% of Brits are planning at least one short-haul trip in 2012
- 60% of Brits are planning at least one long-haul trip in 2012, down from 66% in 2011.
- Of those planning a long-haul trip, North America is the most popular destination, followed by Asia then Africa
- 34% of Brits admit they'll plan to take advantage of hard-hid Eurozone countries for good deals
*Survey carried out on 6.092 travellers, including 1,440 respondents from the UK. Survey conducted in October 2011
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site, enabling travellers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travellers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features (including Flights search, TripAdvisor Mobile and Instant Personalization) with seamless links to booking tools.
TripAdvisor® Media Group, operated by TripAdvisor LLC, attracts more than 65 million unique monthly visitors* across 19 popular travel brands**. TripAdvisor-branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 50 million unique monthly visitors***, 20 million members, and over 50 million reviews and opinions. The sites operate in 30 countries worldwide****, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also operates TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to TripAdvisor's millions of monthly visitors. The division includes Business Listings, which allows hoteliers to connect directly to millions of researching travellers, and Vacation Rentals, which helps property managers and individual home owners list their properties and showcase hotel alternatives.
TripAdvisor Media Group websites have been recognized as top travel resources in 2010 by Condé Nast Traveller, Good Housekeeping, TIME magazine and Travel + Leisure.
TripAdvisor Media Group generated $486 million in revenue in 2010. TripAdvisor and the sites comprising the TripAdvisor Media Group are operating companies of Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE).
TripAdvisor and the TripAdvisor logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TripAdvisor LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
©2011 TripAdvisor LLC. All rights reserved.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Media Group Sites, Worldwide, August 2011
** In addition to TripAdvisor, The TripAdvisor Media Group of websites includes: http://www.airfarewatchdog.com, http://www.bookingbuddy.com, http://www.cruisecritic.com, http://www.everytrail.com, http://www.familyvacationcritic.com, http://www.flipkey.com, http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk, http://www.holidaywatchdog.com, http://www.independenttraveler.com, http://www.onetime.com, http://www.seatguru.com, http://www.sniqueaway.com, http://www.smartertravel.com, http://www.travel-library.com, http://www.travelpod.com, http://www.virtualtourist.com, http://www.whereivebeen.com, and http://www.kuxun.cn.
***Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, Worldwide, August 2011
**** TripAdvisor sites operate in 30 countries worldwide: http://www.tripadvisor.com, http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk, http://www.tripadvisor.ca, http://www.tripadvisor.it, http://www.tripadvisor.es, http://www.tripadvisor.de, http://www.tripadvisor.fr, http://www.tripadvisor.jp, http://www.daodao.com, http://www.tripadvisor.in, http://www.tripadvisor.se, http://www.tripadvisor.nl, http://www.tripadvisor.com.br, http://www.tripadvisor.com.tr, http://www.tripadvisor.dk, http://www.tripadvisor.com.mx, http://www.tripadvisor.ie, http://www.tripadvisor.com.au, http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg, http://www.tripadvisor.co.kr, no.tripadvisor.com, pl.tripadvisor.com, th.tripadvisor.com, http://www.tripadvisor.ru, http://www.tripadvisor.com.gr, http://www.tripadvisor.co.id, http://www.tripadvisor.com.ar, http://www.tripadvisor.tw, http://www.tripadvisor.com.my, and http://www.tripadvisor.com.eg.