SANTA CLARA, California, June 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
- All-IP Radios Support Customer's Evolution to Next Generation Networks with Carrier-Class Capability and High Capacity Throughput
Aviat Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVNW), a leading expert in wireless transmission solutions, announced today that it will supply its recently introduced Aviat WTM 6000 trunking microwave radios to Wataniya Telecom Maldives. Since 2008, Aviat Networks has served as the sole microwave backhaul provider for Wataniya Telecom Maldives as it moved from 2G to 3G. Now, WTM 6000 long-distance trunking radios will support its transition to Next Generation Networks and eventually to 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) wireless, with up to 4Gbps aggregate IP-data throughput in the backhaul network. Specifically, Aviat Networks will:
- Supply end-to-end turnkey products and services to deploy high-capacity WTM 6000 radios in Wataniya's backhaul to extend its existing backbone of Aviat Networks' TRuepoint 6500 radios. Radios will be used as the core elements to backhaul 2G, 3G and leased-line traffic from Wataniya customers
- Provide network design and logistics services to support the Wataniya backhaul network expansion
"Based on superior performance of its TRuepoint 6500 radios and superb execution of our 2008 network rollout, we've chosen Aviat Networks for the next phase of our network build," said Stephen Smith, chief operating officer of Wataniya Telecom Maldives. "We're impressed by WTM 6000's performance characteristics and our prior experience with Aviat Networks' technical competency in link engineering over difficult all-water terrain while still completing the project on time. We're confident that WTM 6000 supported by Aviat Networks professional services will enable a smooth evolution to Next Generation Network operation and then to 4G."
WTM 6000 product specifics
- Highest density microwave trunking solution on the market
- First system to accommodate up to 16 channels in a single sub-rack
- Supports STM-1 traffic as well as native Ethernet/IP with integrated Layer-2 switching, enabling operators to maintain legacy TDM services without having to use inefficient circuit emulation
- Offers packet transport features previously only available in lower capacity microwave systems, such as built-in Ethernet switching, link aggregation, traffic prioritization, Quality of Service (QoS) controls and Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE) capabilities
- Available in 4 to 13 GHz frequency bands for enabling paths well in excess of 50 miles
"Our commitment to Wataniya is to provide them with best in class products and services and help them establish a reliable, scalable and futureproof transmission network to satisfy their increasing demand for network capacity," said Shaun McFall, chief marketing officer and senior vice president, Aviat Networks. "With the WTM 6000 we are able to engineer inter-island links over long expanses of water and deliver bandwidths otherwise only available by deploying fiber, which would be problematic and cost prohibitive."
The WTM 6000's highly integrated all-indoor architecture is optimized to efficiently accommodate complex system configurations and is not restricted by being adapted from a split-mount radio design. A very compact baseband/transceiver module eliminates cable connections and optimizes available rack space for additional networking equipment, making for easier installation, commissioning and simplified maintenance.
About Wataniya Telecom
Wataniya Telecom Maldives is a leading telecommunications operator, providing a wide range of leading-edge wireless voice and data services, delivered with high quality, designed to cater to the demands of today's customer. Globally, Wataniya Telecom has grown rapidly through acquisitions and enjoys remarkable expansion in MENA and Asia, driving operations in Kuwait, Maldives, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Algeria and in 2007 in Palestine. In March 2007, Qatar Telecom (Qtel) acquired 51% of Wataniya Telecom shares, and today, Wataniya enjoys more than 56 million subscribers across its operations.
About Aviat Networks
Aviat Networks, Inc. is a leader in wireless transmission solutions. We apply innovation and IP networking expertise toward building a carrier class foundation for future mobile broadband networks. With more than 750,000 systems installed around the world, Aviat Networks has built a reputation as a leader in offering best-of-breed solutions including LTE-ready microwave backhaul and a complete portfolio of service and support options to public and private telecommunications operators worldwide. With a global reach and local presence in more than 46 countries, Aviat Networks works by the side of its customers allowing them to quickly and cost effectively seize new market and service opportunities. Aviat Networks, formerly Harris Stratex Networks Inc., is headquartered in Santa Clara, California, and listed on NASDAQ (AVNW).
SOURCE Aviat Networks, Inc.