AMSTERDAM and SAN FRANCISCO, November 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Major update to version 3.0 gives users control over ad tracking
AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG), the provider of Internet and mobile security to 143 million active users, today announced that it updated AVG Family Safety® for iOS. The major update to version 3.0 adds AVG's Do Not Track technology to inform the user which sites are tracking them online and allowing the user to block the ad tracking.
AVG believes that making users aware of online privacy is a logical extension to its portfolio of security products. While tracking is not inherently bad, it can be used to collect and share data with third-party companies, a practice that consumers are growing increasingly concerned and more aware of. The new Do Not Track feature will be on by default and will enable users to actively block some advertising networks from sharing data.
AVG Family Safety for iOS is a free, secure and family-friendly web browser to help protect children from inappropriate websites. It helps the whole family to keep themselves safe from scams, fraud, phishing and potentially malicious online content using data provided by AVG's LinkScanner® technology. This protection comes on top of the built-in mobile security provided by the iOS operating system. If a user reaches a suspicious website, AVG will notify them and highlight the risks attached to the particular site.
In addition, children can be blocked from accessing mature and inappropriate content. Sites that are considered inappropriate according to a default block list will be blocked, with the category displayed on screen. With an AVG Family Safety subscription parents can modify this behavior, add specific keywords and criteria and remotely monitor the child's browsing activity.
"Ten years ago parents would protect their children from online threats by putting the family PC in the living room," said JR Smith, CEO of AVG Technologies. "In today's mobile world that is obviously not enough and parents are looking for a simple and modern solution. AVG Family Safety for iOS not only helps keeping the whole family safe from online threats, by adding Do Not Track it now also provides users control over their online privacy."
There are three types of data collection activities recognized by AVG Do Not Track:
- Web analytics: Services used to improve the performance and experience of the respective website. Web analytics are allowed by default.
- Social buttons: Elements designed for improving the social-networking experience. Social buttons are served from the social networks to the site you are visiting. They can collect data about your online activity while you are logged-in. Examples of Social buttons include: Facebook Social Plugins, Twitter Button, Google +1. Social buttons are allowed by default.
AVG Family Safety for iOS 3.0 with Do Not Track is now available for free from the Apple App Store and compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 4.3 or later.
About AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG)
AVG's mission is to simplify, optimize and secure the Internet experience, providing peace of mind to a connected world. AVG's powerful yet easy-to-use software and online services put users in control of their Internet experience. By choosing AVG's software and services, users become part of a trusted global community that benefits from inherent network effects, mutual protection and support. AVG has grown its user base to 143 million active users as of September 30, 2012 and offers a product portfolio that targets the consumer and small business markets and includes Internet security, PC performance optimization, online backup, mobile security, identity protection and family safety software.
Keep in touch with AVG
- For breaking news, follow AVG on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/officialAVGnews
- For small business security trends analysis, follow the AVG small business blog at small-business.blog.avg.com
- Join our Facebook community at http://www.facebook.com/AVGfree
- Join our LinkedIn community http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2719797
SOURCE AVG Technologies