LONDON, December 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Are you effectively cleaning all FIVE tooth surfaces with your oral health routine? Did you even know that you had five surfaces? Celebrity dentist and dental expert, Ash Parmar thinks a "5D" approach is crucial to ensure the front, back, sides and top of the teeth are thoroughly cleaned, and is calling for the nation to adopt this routine for a healthier, sparkling, whiter smile.
A recent survey from UltraDEX confirms the need for action, with only 10% following the recommended regime of brushing, cleaning in-between the teeth and rinsing with mouthwash. Only 50% of respondents are keeping to the recommended biannual dental check-ups. A quarter of respondents also admitted that they look for the cheapest brand of toothpaste on the shelf, rather than a product with the appropriate benefits for their oral health needs.
Ash Parmar of Smile Design by Ash (http://www.smiledesignbyash.co.uk) says, "Our teeth have five accessible surfaces - hence the 5D routine - and it is vital to thoroughly remove plaque from all of these on a daily basis to keep the mouth in tip top condition. A poor dental hygiene routine may result in plaque build-up, which is the start of tooth decay and gum disease. Sometimes it might even lead to bone and tooth loss, not to mention bad breath and a less than white smile. The 5D approach is the foundation for healthy teeth and gums and fresh breath confidence."
- Brush twice daily with fluoride toothpaste: A thorough two-minute brush will clean the front, back and top visible surfaces of your teeth.
- Clean in a gentle circular motion: Brushing at a 45°angle is best. Using the correct brushing technique will ensure the visible tooth surfaces are thoroughly cleaned.
- Floss or use interdental brushes: Cleaning between the teeth will dislodge food particles and plaque from hidden side surfaces.
- Go below the gum line: Using anti-bacterial coated dental tape or floss, slide the floss/tape between your teeth, making sure that you go beneath the gum line. If plaque is not removed from here, it builds up very quickly, and gum inflammation and infection may well follow. Ash says 'It is my experience that most people miss out this step'.
- Rinse with mouthwash: Alcohol-free, anti-bacterial mouthwash is best used at the end of the routine, once or twice a day, to remove any last traces of debris and leave the entire mouth plaque-free. Ash says 'I regularly recommend UltraDEX Oral Rinse to my patients, which is effective at keeping the mouth plaque-free between brushing, particularly overnight.
UltraDEX Scientific Consultant Dr Alan Collings explains how UltraDEX works, "Clever and safe chemistry is at work in your mouth during and between brushes with the innovative ingredients in UltraDEX. This process makes the mouth inhospitable to plaque bacteria and inhibits their return. The active ingredient eliminates the odour-causing compounds (VSC) that are the main cause of bad breath, and the oxidising action of UltraDEX lifts organic stains such as tea, coffee and red wine from the teeth."
So the next time you brush, check that your oral health routine is "5D enabled" to help guarantee a sparkling, healthy smile.
For more information on 5D and the 5D challenge visit http://www.ultradex.co.uk/5D
To try out the quiz visit http://www.ultradex.co.uk/5D/quiz
Notes to editors:
- The OnePoll survey sponsored by UltraDEX, was carried out on 1000 adults aged 35 - 65 in May 2014
- UltraDEX is a small, privately owned British business, specialising in collaborating with dentists to create advanced oral care solutions
- UltraDEX PROTECTS your teeth and gums, RESTORES the natural whiteness of your smile and instantly ELIMINATES bad breath for 12 hours. Developed by dental professionals, UltraDEX guarantees exceptional oral care for the 363 days a year when you don't visit the dentist
- UltraDEX Performance Oral Care range, backed by extensive scientific research, offers a highly effective anti-bacterial action to help prevent gum problems, tooth decay and plaque, when used as part of an oral health regime. It delivers 12 hours fresh breath confidence by eliminating odour-causing compounds (VSC) and also strengthens and gently whitens teeth
- The UltraDEX oral rinses, toothpastes and oral spray are approved by the Vegetarian Society, registered with the Vegan Society, are gluten free and have Kosher status
- UltraDEX products are available from all major retailers and online.