- App Annie's June 2014 UK Apps & Games Index Shows Fitness, Dating and On-Demand News Apps Climbing the Ranks
LONDON, July 29, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- App Annie, the leading provider of app analytics and market data, today revealed that Brits are downloading more fitness, dating and news apps on their smartphones as the nation heads into the summer break. The reports also shows growing popularity among mobile apps with on-demand news content in the UK.
"The June UK Index tells us that Brits are certainly enjoying themselves this summer," said App Annie EVP of Marketing Oliver Lo. "Finding love and getting in shape were both big themes for June, and we saw a huge jump in broadcast news apps around the World Cup. Improved network connections and apps with rich, on-demand content are allowing Brits to take fun everywhere and enjoy it as they please."
The biggest mover in this month's Index was the 30 Day Ab Challenge app, published by Jozic. The fitness app climbed a remarkable 74 places in the UK iOS rankings. The 30 Day Ab Challenge remained in the Top 30 in the overall UK rankings throughout June.
Media apps also performed strongly among apps outside of games in June. The Guardian, The Times and The Telegraph found themselves in the Top 10 iOS rankings for gross revenue. App publishers are reaping rewards as UK smartphone users convert to mobile content to consume daily news and trends. The Guardian saw 300,000 new downloads when it released the latest version of its app, representing a 24 percent increase in revenue from digital platforms.
The Google Play top charts showed that two security apps, Antivirus Security and Norton Mobile Security, retained positions within the UK's Top 10 Google Play apps by monthly revenue. June 2014 is also proving to be a 'Summer of Love,' driving revenue for dating apps such as Match.com, Zoosk and Badoo, which all ranked in the Top 10 in the UK for iOS App Store revenue.
More highlights from the Indexes are below. For the full analysis of UK Games and Apps trends, including top country and category charts, please visit:
Other UK Apps Index highlights
- Music app Spotify shot up the Google Play rankings and remained in the Top Ranks throughout the month of June thanks to its new Android release.
- The summer holidays and price reductions on navigation apps saw an increase in TomTom app downloads on Google Play.
- The World Cup has boosted the performance of broadcast news apps. ITV Player in particular saw the most noticeable gains as the app entered the Top 10 on Google Play and iOS rankings in terms of downloads from mid-June onward.
Other UK Games Index highlights
- Lightning could strike twice for King.com as the launch of Bubble Witch Saga 2 climbs the UK iOS and Google Play rankings for game apps.
- Kim Kardashian's app made a splash in the UK following its June launch, as the game climbed into the Top 10 rankings for Google Play games in just six days.
- Unsurprisingly, football gaming apps did well in the UK last month (with FIFA 14, Top Eleven and Soccer Stars) -- the latter was featured on the homepage of the iOS and Google Play stores.
Notes to Editors
*The App Annie UK Indexes cover trends emerging in mobile app ecosystems across stores, countries and categories. The Indexes are based on UK data on both the iOS App Store and Google Play sourced from App Annie's premium platform, App Annie Intelligence.
About App Annie
App Annie is the industry standard for analytics and market data in the apps and digital content economy. The App Annie platform helps app business owners, marketers and investors understand both their own app business and app market trends so that they can make better business decisions in product, international, marketing, and investment strategy. App Annie is used by over 90 percent of the Top 100 publishers with nearly 600,000 apps relying on App Annie Analytics to track their downloads, revenues, and rankings and reviews, making it the leading innovator in the app analytics and market data space. The company has tracked over 62 billion downloads and more than US $17 billion in revenues to date. App Annie is a privately held global company of more than 250 employees headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, Hong Kong, London, Moscow, New York, Seoul, Shanghai, and Tokyo. For more information, please visit: www.appannie.com.
SOURCE App Annie