LONDON, January 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Frazer-Nash Energy Systems also showcase revolutionary new Solar Charging Station at London event today
- New Range Extended Electric Metrocab world taxi ready now trials launched this week
- Concentrated PhotoVoltaic Technology Solar Charging also showcased in London today
Metrocab key features:
- World's first and only 'ready now' modern Range Extended Electric zero-emission-capable taxi
- >75mpg and over three times more fuel efficient than comparable taxi
- >75% less CO2 than comparable taxi, <50g/km CO2
- >560km combined range
- Significantly lower running costs
- Zero-emissions mode and home charging via standard mains outlet
- >10 years in development and over a million engineering test kilometres
- Six passenger seats (plus optional seventh passenger seat in the front)
An all-new, purpose-built Range Extended Electric (REE) Metrocab taxi was revealed publically for the first time today at a presentation by London Mayor Boris Johnson on zero emissions taxis.
The British designed, engineered and built Metrocab, from Ecotive and Frazer-Nash, is a new generation zero-emissions electric-powered taxi, representing the cutting edge of green transport technology.
Announcing today that all new London taxis will need to be zero emission capable from 2018 as part of a pledge made last year to introduce an Ultra Low Emission Zone in central London by 2020, Mayor Boris Johnson said:
"As part of my mission to improve our air quality and drive innovation, I'm making a firm pledge to Londoners that from 2018 all taxis presented for licensing should be zero emission capable. The cleaner, greener vehicles I've seen today are proof that the evolution of the great London cab is well and truly underway."
Metrocab Chairman Sir Charles Masefield said:
"The all-new Range Extended Electric Metrocab has been in development since the mid-2000s with several prototypes built and over a million kilometres of testing completed. Instantly recognizable as a taxi and with a panoramic glass roof for views of the city, the Metrocab offers completely new levels of economy, emissions and passenger comfort and is ready to enter service this year, benefitting the customer, driver, city and environment alike."
Also showcased by Frazer-Nash Energy Systems today was a revolutionary new Solar Charging Station model demonstrating the company's Concentrated PhotoVoltaic Technology that converts light energy into electrical energy for charging the Metrocab lithium-ion polymer battery pack. The company is testing a full size system at its Surrey headquarters for re-charging its Range Extended Electric taxi and intends to roll-out the charging stations in London and other key cities around the world.
A new key features walk-around film of the Metrocab is available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNkQK0TNYcQ.