-- Ultra-broadband 100G technology will address ever-growing demand for network capacity in Spain fueled by increased use of video and cloud services
PARIS, Sept. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and Telefonica have today agreed to deploy a 100 Gbps (gigabits-per second) optical network throughout the north-west, eastern and southern regions of Spain.
Alcatel-Lucent's industry-leading 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) platform will be the key element of the network transformation. It will enable Telefonica, one of the world's largest telecommunications service providers, to improve the capacity of its regional networks to meet rapidly growing consumer and business demand for high-speed, ultra-broadband Internet connectivity. This demand is being fuelled by the increasing adoption of 4G LTE mobile wireless services in Spain, along with the use of cloud services and growth of video-based data traffic.
- Alcatel-Lucent is providing Telefonica Spain a DWDM solution with integrated OTN switching and aggregation to support increasing traffic created by video and cloud applications.
- The solution offered is based on converged 1830 PSS DWDM and OTN technology and 1350 Optical Management System (OMS).
- The network has 8.8 Tbit/s of capacity and is ready to grow to 24 Tbit/s meaning that it will be able to transport the projected enormous demands for mass video services.
- Alcatel-Lucent's 100 Gbps technology will provide Telefonica with critical resiliency, as well as auto-restoration features based on a GMPLS control plane in every regional domain to advance reliability and uninterrupted quality of experience for customers.
Roque Lozano, President Alcatel-Lucent Spain, said: "Video is becoming an increasing focus for Telefonica in Spain. That means capacity and reliability are critical elements for its nationwide infrastructure. With future video services and mass high-definition video storage in the cloud, Telefonica needed the most reliable and flexible technology available today. Alcatel-Lucent's 100G solution has everything to take Telefonica to the next level of its network transformation in Spain."
- Agile Optical Networking
- 400G Photonic Service Engine (website)
- Paving the way the world's first commercial 400G coherent solution (video)
- Alcatel-Lucent 1830 PSS photo
About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU)
We are at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, and to enterprises and institutions throughout the world. Underpinning us in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of the Group and one of the world's foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Our innovations have resulted in our Group being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012's Top 50 "World's Most Innovative Companies". We have also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader in the Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review, for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the Group's mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2013, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.