LONDON, October 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ --
● The Dermalex skincare survey indicates that as much as 50% of the GB adult population have suffered with skin conditions in their life
● 64% have had eczema, psoriasis, rosacea or acne for over a decade
● Over a quarter (28%) have covered up their skin condition because they didn't want to be stared at
● More people 27% have sought help via online searches e.g. Google, NHS website etc. than from a dermatologist 19%
The scale of GB's skin problems has been highlighted in a significant and robust specialist skincare survey: nearly two thirds of adults with eczema, psoriasis, rosacea and acne who participated to the survey have suffered with the debilitating effects for more than ten years, a new survey has found.
These skin conditions are often trivialised by non-sufferers: however, the survey found that 64% first experienced their skin issue over ten years ago and unearthed many further negative impacts.
The Dermalex specialist skincare survey found that skin conditions are a widespread issue and indicates that as much as 50% of the GB adult population have experienced skin problems at some stage of their lives, with 30% of the GB adult population currently dealing with them.
Specialist skincare brand Dermalex commissioned the survey, which was conducted by YouGov, to expose the hidden cost of skin problems like eczema, psoriasis, acne and rosacea on people's lives and their mental and emotional health.
57% of skin sufferers stated that taking control of their skin condition would help their confidence and wellbeing. Yet there's a big knowledge gap, with over one-third (38%) saying they did not understand what had caused their skin condition.
Holly Turner, senior marketing director at Perrigo; said, "It's clear from these results that the effects of these specialist conditions on people is far from skin deep. With skin conditions affecting every aspect of their lives, it's time that the conversation was brought out into the open, and more understanding and support is given to those suffering from them."
These health issues can have a devastating effect on some people's lives, emotions and wellbeing, with over half (56%) saying they felt self-conscious as a result of it and almost half (47%) felt unattractive. Only 45% of survey respondents said they had never experienced a negative situation, further showing that for millions of adults, the state of their skin is directly linked to happiness.
Follow Dermalex on Facebook by visiting @DermalexUK
Notes for editors
● The Dermalex specialist skincare survey indicates that as much as 50% of the GB adult population (26.3 million**) have experienced skin problems at some stage of their lives, with 30% (15.8 million**) currently dealing with them.
● The Dermalex Specialist Skincare Survey was conducted by YouGov. All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2035 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 25th - 28th August 2017. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).
● Dermalex are specialist skincare experts and a major medicated skincare brand that offers treatments for a range of skin conditions including eczema, psoriasis, rosacea and acne.
● Dermalex's steroid free eczema treatment is scientifically proven to relieve the symptoms of a flare-up 'itching, redness and dry skin' by helping the skin barrier to repair and strengthen with unique MagneoLite™ technology.
● Dermalex is available to purchase from Amazon, Boots, Lloyds, Superdrug and selected independent UK and European Pharmacies.
● For the Skincare Survey Infographic and Product information, please Visit http://www.strongerwithin.me
● For further information follow http://www.facebook.com/DermalexUK
● Stronger Skin #StrongerWithin
*Versus skin left untreated. Helping you feel confident.