Thousands of British Muslims Honour the Fallen
LONDON, November 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
More than ten thousand Ahmadi Muslims will this week stand united with the country in remembering the brave members of the Armed Forces who sacrificed their lives for Great Britain.
Thousands of worshippers will congregate at Mosques across the country, including the UK's largest Mosque in Morden, at 2:30pm on Friday. The Community will also be inviting volunteers to sell poppies at the Mosques.
Hundreds of young Members of the community's youth group, the Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association (AMYA), have been out on the streets, in shopping centres, and train stations selling poppies.
2013 marks the fourth year in a row that members of the AMYA have raised funds for the Royal British Legion (RBL). So far the AMYA has raised more than £40,000 for RBL and this year they are hoping to raise even more.
Ahmadi Muslims believe that loyalty to one's country is part of their faith and so have been out at dozens of tube and train stations, shopping centres, and football stadiums, raising money for injured servicemen, veterans and families of the fallen.
AMYA's hard work has not gone unnoticed.
Prime Minister, David Cameron said:
"I send my best wishes to the Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association who are supporting this year's Poppy Appeal.
"I'm delighted to hear over 300 members will be out in force throughout November collecting at train stations and other places around the country.
"It's great to see so many young people giving up their own time to help those who have served our country while remembering those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice."
The current collections are just one of many ways that AMYA engages young British Muslim men in civic and charitable activities. The group works with many charities and civic organisation up and down the country to promote the true teaching of Islam - loyalty, freedom and peace.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said:
"The Poppy Appeal gives us all the perfect opportunity to give something back to those brave men and women who have served our country, as well as support those who have helped them in their time of need.
"I know Londoners across the city will be joining me to help raise over a £1million on London Poppy Day so that the Royal British Legion can continue its excellent and life enhancing work.
"The fantastic efforts of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association, which is hoping to raise a stonking £30,000, will help ensure we reach that target."
National President of AMYA, Mirza Waqas Ahmad said:
"As British Ahmadi Muslims we're proud to support the Poppy Appeal.
"Remembrance Sunday marks the day when peace broke out across the world and we hope that our efforts are a clear indication of our desire for peace and unity between all nations, peoples and religions."
About the Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association (AMYA)
- The Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association (AMYA) UK is an auxiliary body of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Association with a membership of 7,500 people. The AMYA's central headquarters are at the Fazl Mosque, London's Oldest Mosque, and Morden Mosque, the UK's largest Mosque. The AMYA also has more than ninety offices across the UK.
- The AMYA is committed to the spiritual, moral, intellectual and physical development of young Muslims and runs a regular programme of structured activities for the youth with a mix of academic, sporting, social welfare and charitable works which keeps its members engaged.
- The purpose of all these activities is to engender the spirit of discipline and service to the wider community irrespective of people's beliefs, race, or gender. The Ahmadiyya Muslim community's motto 'Love for All, Hatred for None' underpins this ethos.
Notes to Editor
- For media enquiries contact the AMYA press office:
- Hi-resolution images for use by print and online outlets are here and will be updated regularly: http://goo.gl/MHN1qv
- Broadcast outlets are invited to take part in filming opportunity at the UK's largest Mosque on Friday 8 November in Morden, London.
- Poppy sellers and AMYA officials will be available for pre-recorded interviews on Friday 8 November and live interviews on Saturday 9 November.
SOURCE Ahmadiyya Muslim Association UK
More by this Source
Ahmadi Muslims Condemn Brutal Murder of Alan Henning
04 Oct, 2014, 14:17 BST
The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community UK Condemns the Barbaric Murder of David Haines
15 Sep, 2014, 11:36 BST
Get content for your website
Enhance your website's or blog's content with PR Newswire's customised real-time news feeds.
Contact PR Newswire
Send us an email at MarketingUK@prnewswire.co.uk or call us at +44 (0)20 7454 5382
Become a PR Newswire client
Request more information about PR Newswire products & services or call us at +44 (0)20 7454 5382