WALSALL, England, June 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Slightly Unusual have been hailed as 'The Speciality Act of the Decade' and with a string of successful TV appearances under their hats they are considered among the top illusion acts in Europe. Craig Petty, one third of Slightly Unusual, recently competed in the Champion of Champions Close Up Magic Championships. In an unprecedented move, Craig stripped on stage in front of hundreds of magicians to win the award!
From Tommy Cooper to John Archer, the UK has a stellar reputation for producing the world's finest comedy magic. However, none are quite as unique as 'Slightly Unusual', a three-piece act from the West Midlands who have won dozens of awards in the last couple of years.
On the 19th June 2013 Craig Petty from Slightly Unusual was invited to compete in The Champion of Champions Close Up Magic Championships. Close up magic is performed right in front of the eyes of the spectators and is considered the most technically difficult genre of magic to be attempted.
"It's a real honour just being invited to compete. The idea is you take the very best close up magicians and get them to compete against each other to find out who really is the best of the best" says Craig Petty.
Continuing, "Every magician in this competition is an award winner in their own right having won numerous regional awards. I knew I needed to do something extra special in order to win which is why we decided to take one of our signature routines from our stage illusion show and perform that. Trying to do something of that scale in a close up environment has never been attempted before."
The routine Craig used to win the competition involved standing up in front of hundreds of magicians and stripping all his clothes off in front of everyone.
"To say that nobody expected me to take my clothes off is an understatement. Obviously there is more to the routine than just stripping - after all I'm an illusionist and not a Chippendale! However there were some older members of the magic community that I thought were going to have a heart attack!" Petty adds.
Slightly Unusual have performed their routine in stage shows up and down the country while performing for clients such as Apple, Disney and Cadbury as well as many more.
Recent reviews and endorsements are glowing.
Ken Dodd said, "You guys are really funny; you're stealing all my laughs!"
Having won this award none of the members of Slightly Unusual are resting on their laurels. The talented group are planning to represent the UK in the International Brotherhood of Magicians Stage Championships in September. With more awards being notched up on an almost weekly basis, the future for these young illusionists looks very bright indeed.
The act's official website can be found here: http://www.slightlyunusual.co.uk/
About Slightly Unusual:
"Imagine if Morecambe and Wise performed the illusions of David Copperfield."
Slightly Unusual are made up of Craig, Russ and Anna who between them have...
• Performed professionally all over the world
• Multiple television appearances including appearing on SKY TV and ITV 1
• Guarantees that people will come up to you and congratulate you on a great event - even if you don't want them to
• Are booked year after year by some of the top corporations in Europe
• Toured the UK with their critically acclaimed Illusion Show
• Winners of Brit Idol 2012
• Winner of Britain Does Variety 2012 Regional Finals
• Voted Best Illusion Act in the UK National Championships
• Represented England three times in the European Championships
• Voted "Performers to watch in 2011" by Magic Scene Magazine
• Authors and Producers of over 40 magic books and DVDs
• Are "GROUNDBREAKING, FRESH & ORIGINAL" - The Stage
• Have over 20 years experience in the entertainment industry.
SOURCE Slightly Unusual