WEST MALLING, England, September 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
The Haven Academy is a unique initiative designed to provide funding to selected projects that advance the enjoyment of boating. The Haven Academy offers the opportunity for boating enthusiasts to apply for a grant for any boating project that needs a helping hand.
The judges are looking for project ideas, connected with either inland or coastal waters, which demonstrates a real passion for boat build and restoration, boating innovation, or the boating environment.
The categories, each offering a grant of up to £3,000, are:
- New build or restoration of a boat or boating facility.
- Boating innovation resulting in the improved performance or safety of boating (for example, navigation aids or new ideas for safety equipment).
- Boating environment supporting initiatives for the environmental improvement of inland or coastal waters.
We received a number of outstanding entries for the 2011 Awards and were pleased to award funding to some very deserving projects. The Haven Academy has proved, that with our help and encouragement, previous winners have made great ideas come to life:
- The Grade II listed dry dock at the National Waterways Museum in Cheshire has been cleared and the gates will soon be remounted. The dock will shortly again be able to play a pivotal role in the restoration and upkeep of boats in the locality.
- The restoration of 'Marlyn' now restored to a seaworthy state and given to the local Sea Cadets as a much needed training and support boat.
- The installation of a new winch for Dover Watersports will enable dinghies and boats to be moved safely up and down the beach.
World-renowned sailor, Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, the first man to perform a single-handed circumnavigation of the globe, is Chairman of the Haven Academy. Sir Robin said:
"Our motto this year is 'Mission Possible!' so if you have an idea for a great boating project that seems impossible to get started, the Haven Academy wants to hear about it. Our previous winners proved that, with our help and encouragement, you can make a great idea come to life."
John Macaulay, General Manager at Haven Knox Johnston, one of the UK's leading providers in boat insurance said:
"As fellow enthusiasts, we are delighted that our business is able to put something back, purely to fuel the enjoyment of boating. We are looking forward to eclipsing last year's outstanding response."
Applications open on 16 September and are available by clicking on to http://www.boatinsure.co.uk/academy.
The closing date for applications is 30 November 2011, with the winners being announced during April 2012.
NOTES TO EDITORS
The Haven Academy
The Haven Academy was founded in 2010 by one of the UK's leading providers in boat insurance, Haven Knox-Johnston with renowned round-the-world sailor Sir Robin Knox-Johnston chairing the panel of judges. The Academy is a unique initiative to provide funding of up to £3,000 to selected new projects for the advancement and enjoyment of boating.
The Haven Academy is an independent initiative, with judges drawn from a wide variety of backgrounds and interests, linked by a common passion for boating in the UK.
Haven Knox-Johnston, has 25 years of experience in providing boat insurance for dinghies, yachts, motorboats, speedboats, RIBs, narrowboats, inland cruisers, dayboats, cruiser racers and most other types of craft.
Run by boating enthusiasts for boating enthusiasts, Haven Knox-Johnston, An Amlin Group Company, has grown to become a UK leader. All policies are backed by the financial strength and security of Amlin Syndicate 2001 one of the largest Syndicates in Lloyd's.
Haven Knox-Johnston is a trading name of Amlin Underwriting Services Limited, St Helen's, One Undershaft, London EC3A 8ND which is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority.
SOURCE The Haven Academy