- MediaTek's wireless platforms enable the ecosystem to create devices and solutions that offer consumers seamless multi-screen connectivity
HSINCHU, Taiwan, Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- MediaTek, a leading fabless semiconductor company for wireless communications and digital multimedia solutions, is unveiling an array of industry firsts and award winning multi-screen platforms at CES 2013 to make the connected home a reality. With cross-platform advantages in the DTV, mobile and wireless markets, MediaTek is enabling the smart ecosystem to build innovative, multi-screen convergence solutions more quickly, and provide consumers with seamlessly engaging and interactive experiences.
In 2012 about 90 percent of people use multiple screens for their digital activities (Note 1), a trend that is dramatically accelerating the consumer demand for seamlessly integrated, high-quality multi-screen experiences in 2013 and beyond. As a key technology enabler with a leading position in the digital TV segment, numerous breakthroughs in the smartphone market and pioneering developments in wireless technologies, MediaTek is setting an industry's first by integrating Miracast-certified Wi-Fi display technology with Near Field Communications (NFC) to seamlessly interlink a Smart TV with the latest MediaTek quad-core smartphone platform. With a simple tap of the device, it is possible to wirelessly stream HD quality video and other multimedia content such as video and games from mobile and other devices onto big screen HDTVs without connecting through an access point.
In addition, MediaTek will also be demonstrating:
- A Smart Wi-Fi Router-on-a-Chip platform -- MT7620A for Personal Cloud Computing that powers D-Link's 2013 CES award winning DIR-508 11N Pocket Cloud Router.
- The first and only smartphone platform in the Wi-Fi certified Passpoint™ program test bed -- MT6575 + MT6620, which helps offload capacity-strained cellular networks.
- 802.11ac + 802.11n dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi router platform -- MT7620A + MT7610E that delivers the superior Wi-Fi performance needed to drive seamless connectivity between all devices in the home.
- Serving as the hub of the connected home is MediaTek's MT5396 series -- an innovative 4K2K 120Hz and Smart/3D TV SoC platform with integrated MEMC (Motion Estimation, Motion Compensation) technology, TCON/OD, Wi-Fi, video decoder, as well as HTML5 and all-round screen sharing technology support. The MT5396 series makes it possible to develop affordable Smart TV products with rich functionality such as App Stores, Netflix VOD streaming, YouTube 2nd screen and a host of WebGL applications.
"Across the TV, tablet, and smartphone platforms, MediaTek sees device integration continuing to accelerate in 2013 and beyond, driven by end-users' demand for new and innovative experiences that improve people's lives," said Ching-Jiang Hsieh, President of MediaTek. "While integrated smart devices have been available for some time, they have never delivered a truly seamless multi-screen experience, until now. We have taken a major step forward towards a world of advanced, innovative technology connected in a rich smart ecosystem that makes digital content and device functionality screen-agnostic and affordable by almost everyone -- and it's all enabled by MediaTek.
About MediaTek Inc.
MediaTek Inc. is a leading fabless semiconductor company for wireless communications and digital multimedia solutions. The company is a market leader and pioneer in cutting-edge SOC system solutions for wireless communications, high-definition TV, optical storage, and DVD and Blu-ray products. Founded in 1997 and listed on Taiwan Stock Exchange under the code "2454", MediaTek is headquartered in Taiwan and has sales or research subsidiaries in Mainland China, Singapore, India, U.S., Japan, Korea, Denmark, England, Sweden and Dubai. For more information, please visit MediaTek's website at www.mediatek.com.
SOURCE MediaTek Inc.